Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on September 01, 2005

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2005
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on September 01, 2005

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Nina Simone - I Put A Spell On You - Compact Jazz - Mercury
      [ As I said at the end of this set....Nina Simone, Aretha
      Franklin, and Stevie Wonder...unadulterated greatness. ]

      Aretha Franklin - 96 Tears - Aretha Arrives - Rhino / Atlantic

      Stevie Wonder - High School Sneakers - The Motortown Revue
      Collection - Motown / Hip-O Select*
      [ The new collection that just came out on Hip-O Select is made
      up of four live Motown albums -- Motortown Revue Vol 1 (1963),
      Motortown Revue Vol 2 (1964), Motortown Revue In Paris (1965), and
      Motortown Revue Live (1969). The discs come in tiny album cover
      jackets that replicate the original covers. This amazing performance
      was recorded live in Paris in 1965. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Wynonie Harris - Quiet Whiskey - Lovin' Machine - Ace
      [ An alcohol-fueled set. These things happen. ]

      Los Lobos - I Got Loaded - How Will The Wolf Survive - Slash
      [ This is a cover version of a Little Bob & The Lollipops song &
      I have yet to hear the original. If somebody ever compiled a list of
      the ten greatest Los Angeles rock albums, this would surely belong,
      wouldn't it? ]

      Kinks - Alcohol - Muswell Hillbillies - Konk

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Jay Holiday - I'm Gonna Be A Wheel Someday - Stompin' 1 - Stompin'
      [ Los Lobos used to do a great live version of this song. This
      is volume one of, at least, twenty-three volumes of self-
      described "Crazed Rhythm' N' Blues Pounders!" ]

      Contours - Do You Love Me - The Complete Motown Singles - Vol. 2:
      1962 - Motown / Hip-O Select*

      Barbara Lynn - I'm A Good Woman - Soul Cargo - Vol. 5 - Bar Records
      [ There was a TV show in the mid-60s called "The Beat" which
      featured all kinds of great soul, R&B, & blues artists. Six volumes
      which feature twenty-six shows have been issued on DVD by Bear
      Family. Anyway, Vol. 2 features Barbara Lynn (among lots of others)
      and she flat-out tears it up. She plays electric guitar (including
      the breaks on "What'd I Say"), looks great, and sings really well.
      I've never heard more than a couple of songs by her before but she
      really steals the show on this particular DVD. Plus, this song is
      eligible for inclusion on the "So-Called Friends" box set detailed
      in "The Fortress of Solitude" novel. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Dusty Springfield - Don't Forget About Me - Dusty In Memphis -
      Rhino
      [ This set featured a couple of songs written by Carole King &
      Gerry Goffin. ]

      Nils Lofgren - Goin' Back - Nils Lofgren - A & M
      [ Besides making solo albums, he has been able to find gainful
      employment with the E-Street Band. This 1975 album is still his best
      solo album. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Steve Dawson - Reignite - Sweet Is The Anchor - Undertow*
      [ Steve Dawson (Chicago) will be having his CD release party
      next Friday (9/9) at Frederick's Music Lounge. Also appearing is
      another fine Undertow artist, The Love Experts. ]

      Greenhornes w/ Holly Golightly - There Is An End - Broken Flowers:
      Music From The Film - Decca*
      [ I'm bound & determined to make this song a hit. Sure, it's
      just one show a week on a single radio station but you have to start
      somewhere, right? I love the lead vocal on this song and the song
      just grooves. And the three times I have played this, it's generated
      a phone call each time with an inquiry wondering who the artist is.
      When a song does that, it's a good sign. And if you buy the Holly
      Golightly album, "Truly She Is None Other", you will not be
      disappointed. Unless you are Ken from Cockeysville. ]

      New Pornographers - Jackie, Dressed In Cobras - Twin Cinema -
      Matador*

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Fountains Of Wayne - Trains & Boats & Planes - Out-Of-State-
      Plates - Virgin*
      [ I'm just a sucker of this particular Burt Bacharach song and
      Fountains Of Wayne really do a fine cover on this latest two-CD
      release. ]

      Dogs - Tuned To A Different Station - Turn Against This Land -
      Universal / Island*
      [ Thanks to Bill from KC for making me aware of this. Tuneful
      garagey-punk. This song makes me think of the Jam, for some reason,
      though the other songs don't. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Chris Mills - Lullaby - The Silver Line - Powerless Pop Recorders
      [ Appearing this Friday (9/2) at Frederick's Music Lounge. Also
      appearing is Fred Shafer (NY). ]

      Sleater-Kinney - Jumpers - The Woods - Sub Pop*
      [ Appearing next month (10/8) at Mississippi Nights. The Ponys
      are also on the bill. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Bap Kennedy - On The Mighty Ocean Of Alcohol - The Big Picture -
      Rogue Australia*
      [ This is a new release from Bap Kennedy. It makes sense that a
      song with this title would also feature the vocals of Shane
      MacGowan. ]

      Matthew Sweet - I've Been Waiting - Girlfriend - Zoo
      [ Some friends (Jim & Laura) in Seattle were just married & they
      gave out CDs to the guests with some of their favorite (mostly) love
      songs. This was track one. Inspired choice. ]

      Arthur Alexander - Soldier Of Love - The Greatest - Ace

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Bob Dylan - When The Ship Comes In - No Direction Home: The
      Soundtrack - The Bootleg Series Vol. 7 - Columbia*
      [ This was just released this week and features two discs' worth
      of unreleased Dylan performances (with the exception of two songs).
      Made up of live recordings and alternative takes - this is a must-
      have for any Dylan fan. This is the soundtrack to "No Direction
      Home", Martin Scorsese's feature-length documentary covering Dylan's
      career from its beginnings to 1966 (it will be aired in two parts on
      PBS this month and will be released in expanded form on DVD on
      September 20). This particular song was recorded live in 1963 at a
      performance at Carnegie Hall. ]

      Bob Dylan - Maggie's Farm - No Direction Home: The Soundtrack - The
      Bootleg Series Vol. 7 - Columbia*
      [ Listen to Dylan freaking out the folkies as he plays this
      first of three electric songs at the Newport Folk Festival in 1964.
      The Butterfield Blues Band is backing him up. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Flying Burrito Brothers - To Ramona - Dylan Covered - Mojo*

      Mary Lou Lord - You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go - Live
      City Sounds - Sef Released

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Robert Earl Keen - Snowin' On Raton - Gravitational Forces - Lost
      Highway
      [ Appearing at The Pageant a week from Saturday (9/10). ]

      Lyle Lovett - Lungs - Step Inside This House - Curb / MCA

      Half Knots - Marianne - Half Knots - Self Released
      [ Appearing this Sunday (9/4) at Focal Point. ]

      The Spirit Of Memphis Quartet - Atomic Telephone - Atomic Platters:
      Cold War Music From The Golden Age Of Homeland Security - Bear
      Family*
      [ I have this strange fascination with songs from the Cold War.
      This box set just released by Bear Family can not be improved on. A
      beautiful 292 LP-sized hardcover book, five CDs, and one DVD. Be
      amazed at the full track listing found at
      http://www.conelrad.com/media/atomicmusic/sh_boom.html .
      CD technology at its very finest. ]