RE: [fearnwhiskey] MIA Nola. RIP RL Burnside

  • Justin Hopper
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
      Word from Chuck Taggart's site is that Clarence Gatemouth Brown is safe
      and dry in Texas, though that doesn't mean he didn't lose everything...

      Besides everything else, this is such a cultural disaster - an entire
      generation of that region's musicians wiped out or even killed in one
      day.

      If anybody hears more about these people, post it, eh? Esp. if anyone
      sees word on Antoinette K-Doe (widow of Ernie "Mother in Law" K-doe).

      Ugh.

      Juddy

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
        Juddy wrote:

        > If anybody hears more about these people, post it, eh? Esp. if anyone sees
        > word on Antoinette K-Doe (widow of Ernie "Mother in Law" K-doe).

        The Times-Picayune has set up a missing persons message board <http://www.nola.com/forums/searching/> that might give information more quickly than any other outlet.

        There are over 6,000 posts already. Last word on Fats Domino was this:
        "Fats Domino and his wife stayed at their home in the 9th ward. We have not heard from them since late Sunday night. If anyone has seen them or has any info Please email at findfats@...." Afraid there is no information on the others, yet.

        > Ugh.

        Agreed.

        Carl Z.
        RIP RL, and holding out hope for the missing
      • Carl A Zimring
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
          Apparently none of the Neville family is missing (Aaron and several others fled to Memphis), but most of the family's homes are destroyed. No word on if Allan Toussaint has been evacuated from the Superdome to Houston yet.

          Peter Holsapple's family is safe, but their home was destroyed.

          More on Fats Domino:

          <http://www.pollstar.com/news/viewnews.pl?NewsID=4266>

          Fats Domino
          Among N.O. Missing
          Updated 10:54 PDT Thu, Sep 01 2005

          Fats Domino, a fixture in rock ‘n' roll history as well as in New Orleans, is among the tens of thousands reported missing since Hurricane Katrina struck that city August 29th.
          Tracy Embry, the wife of Domino's agent Al Embry, confirmed the news to Pollstar from Nashville September 1st.
          The legendary singer/pianist is best known for hits including "Ain't That A Shame," "Blueberry Hill," "Walking to New Orleans" and a cover of Hank Williams' "Jambalaya (On the Bayou)." He remained in his hometown, and was currently living in the family home in the Ninth Ward of New Orleans, reportedly the hardest-hit and lowest-lying section of the city.
          "At this point we do not know his location. He was last seen Tuesday (August 30th) on the balcony of his house," Tracy Embry told Pollstar. He talked to Al (Embry) Sunday night, several times, and that's the last we've heard from him.
          "He and his wife, a couple of the kids and a couple of the grandkids were going to just ride the storm out. We've been trying to get search and rescue over there since Tuesday and they were spotted, but we just don't have confirmation whether they were rescued or not. And if they were, where they took them.
          "We honestly do not know anything yet if he was rescued or anything. At this point, he is still missing."
          Refugees and others who have been rescued from rooftops and balconies have been taken by search and rescue teams to numerous locations throughout the region, and as far away as Houston. Communication remains spotty best with extremely limited telephone and cell phone capability for survivors to notify relatives and friends they are safe.
          Tracy Embry asks that anyone with any information about Domino's location should call Al Embry International at 615-847-0123.
          "He was in the worst spot he could have been," she emphasized. "We're trying to get the word out if anyone hears from him, sees him, or are in touch with any family members that did get out. We're all working together to try to find him."
          Domino has received the Lifetime Achievement and Hall of Fame Grammy Awards and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986.

          ***

          Carl Z.
        • Barry Mazor
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
            R. L. Burnside
            November 21, 1926 - September 1, 2005

            We at Fat Possum are sad to announce that R.L. Burnside died today at his hospital room in
            Memphis.

            Blues artist R.L. Burnside, who redefined the blues genre by incorporating indie rock
            acts and hip-hop production, died September 1, 2005, at St. Francis Hospital in Memphis,
            Tennessee. Burnside was born November 21, 1926, in Harmontown, Mississippi, and spent
            most of his life in the north Mississippi hill country, where he worked as a sharecropper
            and a commercial fisherman and played guitar at weekend house parties. In 1968, noted
            folklorist George Mitchell recorded Burnside for the first time. In 1991 Burnside was the
            first artist signed to then-fledgling Fat Possum Records in Oxford, Mississippi. His debut,
            "Too Bad Jim," was produced by former New York Times pop critic Robert Palmer. Along
            with his friend, neighbor, and label-mate Junior Kimbrough, Burnside was one of the most
            popular and important blues musicians to emerge in the last two decades. He recorded the
            crossover collaboration "A Ass Pocket of Whiskey" with the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion in
            1996 and became a cult hero. In 1998, music from "Come On In" was featured in several
            movies and television shows, including The Sopranos. Burnside sold hundreds of
            thousands of records in his lifetime. He is survived by his wife Alice Mae, twelve children,
            and numerous grandchildren.

            Those wishing to help should send donations to:

            Freeland & Freeland Trust Account
            Burnside Memorial
            P. O. Box 269
            Oxford, MS 38655
            (662)234-3414
            All proceeds will go directly to RL's widow, Alice Mae.

            Photo by David
          • Carl A Zimring
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
              That from a post from another list; if I find confirmation I will send it along.