Kiwi klezmer?!

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2002
      While browsing the Chicago Reader's music section (one of the better ones I
      know of), I came across the following listing from last week's critic's
      picks:

      > Jews Brothers Band
      > 8/10, Nevin's Live; 8/11, HotHouse
      > This New Zealand-based ensemble, which contains a couple of New York
      > expats, attacks your basic swinging urban klezmer with the kiwi flair for
      > untrendy experimentation. Head brother Hershal (who has no use for a
      > surname), the only member who'd really heard any klezmer before the band
      > coalesced, has also played Afro-Cuban music and jazz, and his piano work
      > drives the band's second album, My Yiddish Swing (Rouge), all over the
      > map; mandolinist Nigel Gavin occasionally tours as a member of Robert
      > Fripp's League of Crafty Guitarists. The Jews Brothers have made a name
      > for themselves in Europe and Australia; these shows are part of the Kfar
      > Jewish Arts Center's series "Tzitzit: Voices From the Jewish Fringe."

      I don't know if this is a case of mixing peanut butter and chocolate, or
      sand and vaseline, but I really like both new klezmer (especially the
      Tzadik stuff by the likes of Davka) and New Zealand experimental music and
      am very curious about the combination. Has anyone heard these guys?

      Carl Z.
      who didn't run into a whole lot of Jews in New Zealand