Paul Pena (Re: Topsoil/Haywire Playlist)

  • czimring
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2 2:32 PM
      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Steve Gardner" <steve@t...> wrote:
      > By coincidence, I had a friend that was recommending Genghis Blues
      to me.
      > I've never seen it and didn't even realize it was about Paul. He
      mentioned
      > it had some parts in it where Paul was doing some Tuvan throat singing.
      > Well, as a coincidence, Tim Eriksen does some Tuvan throat singing
      on the
      > new Cordelia's Dad record. I don't think I've ever heard that on a rock
      > album before.

      You're going to love the film then. You'd think a synthesis of
      acoustic blues and Tuvan throat singing would come off as gimmicky,
      but Pena makes it sound as natural as can be, kind of like a John Lee
      Hooker moan. The story of the journey to Tuva is amazing and Pena
      comes off as a very sweet man.

      I think one of the tracks off the 1973 record is included in the film
      soundtrack; it sounded pretty funky. The rest of the music in the
      film is closer to Delta blues, mostly Pena and his acoustic guitar.

      > I don't know much else about Paul Pena. I'm pretty new to him. Is
      he still
      > alive? Anyone know anything more about him?

      He was diagnosed with liver cancer a few years ago but that was
      apparently a mistake. As far as I know, he's still alive and living
      in the Bay Area, though I don't know if he's musically active. The
      film covers his life, music and health problems up to 1995 in good detail.

      Carl Z.
    • Laura A Watt
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2 2:50 PM
        >I don't know much else about Paul Pena. I'm pretty new to him. Is
        >he still alive? Anyone know anything more about him?

        I don't have any recent news of him, but did see him play live a
        little over a year ago, in Berkeley (Carl, you may remember, this was
        Craig and I's first date!) -- very thin and feeble, but sounded
        fantastic. I don't think his health allows him to play very often,
        but he's still around and hanging in there...

        laura

        *****
        http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/~lawatt
        "You said to me, 'You're from California;
        you laugh too easily'" --Mark Eitzel
      • Deliberate Strangers
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3 3:36 AM
          Paul Pena's songs on the Ellipse Art throat singing comp is great. I know
          his own CD which as released a while back is from the 70's. Does he have
          more recent stuff available?
          I'll forward the fireworks request to Ms. Scratchy.

          Tom

        • Mock the DJ
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 26, 2004
            I believe (no pun intended) that it's been mentioned here before, but you
            can find a nifty version/cover of that song on the Macha loved Bedhead CD (a
            joint effort between the bands Macha and Bedhead) as well. Worthy of
            Haywire airwaves.

            Paul

            http://wine.msn.com/