Re: [fearnwhiskey] new Chris Whitley

  • Jason Baldwin
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2005
      Dave wrote:
      Any thoughts on the new one so far? I've only had time to give it a
      couple listens. I dig it, but it feels much closer to ROCKET HOUSE than
      LIVING...not that I was expecting a remake of the latter, but given that
      the PR played up the reunion with Burn, I guessed it might be closer to
      that.
      ---

      I really like the first track, but the version of "Her Furious Angels" that's on it is inferior to the one on WCB.

      As for the rest of it, I'm disappointed...

      ---
      I'd like to hear him make a more expansive record again. He's really
      gotten into a hushed, quiet, almost confidential groove and while I like
      it, I'd love to hear something big and wide open again.
      ---

      ...for that very reason. He's one artist I don't expect to re-make the same album over and over, but after having been spoiled by the passion, the reckless abandon of the live shows, this isn't exactly what I want to hear from him. From PERFECT DAY on, he's done very little that's got any "oomph" to it, and I miss that. He's proved he's capable of it.

      I'm not giving up, and I need to listen to it more to properly evaluate it, which I'll get to as soon as I can stop listening to Hot Hot Heat and Grand Champeen, which were essentially the soundtrack to my long weekend in Seattle, which was over too soon. When I do, I'll write at greater length, if you want.

      -Jason
    • Dave Purcell
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11, 2005
        Jason wrote:

        <<
        As for the rest of it, I'm disappointed...

        ...for that very reason. He's one artist I don't expect to re-make the
        same album over and over, but after having been spoiled by the passion,
        the reckless abandon of the live shows, this isn't exactly what I want
        to hear from him. From PERFECT DAY on, he's done very little that's got
        any "oomph" to it, and I miss that. He's proved he's capable of it.>>

        I heard parts of an All Things Considered interview with Chris this
        afternoon. It's here, but I haven't had a chance to go back and listen
        to the whole thing:
        http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4796460

        Chris mentioned something to the effect that this record was a direct
        reaction to all the noise and bombast in pop music, and that he enjoyed
        making a quiet record that is still striking. Which is fine, but as
        Jason notes, he's been doing that for several records in a row. At the
        end of the story, the interviewer mentions that his next record is going
        to be (or was) recorded with a full band and is "loud gothic rock" (his
        term, not Whitley's, as near as I can tell).

        <<When I do, I'll write at greater length, if you want. >>

        Please do. I'm heading out of town for two conferences and won't have
        time to settle in with it for at least another week or so.

        dp