new Chris Whitley

  • Dave Purcell
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2005
      Awhile back, Jason wrote:

      <<I know Lanois got a lot of the credit for LIVING, but the liners only
      list him as playing guitar on "Poison Girl." Malcolm Burn produced it,
      and did the same for the new one. I can't wait to hear it. "Her Furious
      Angels," one of my favorite tracks on WCB, reappears, but otherwise,
      it's entirely new. (My other favorite, and as good an introduction to
      Whitley as I can imagine, is his take on the Velvet Underground's "I
      Can't Stand It.") >>

      Any thoughts on the new one so far? I've only had time to give it a
      couple listens. I dig it, but it feels much closer to ROCKET HOUSE than
      LIVING...not that I was expecting a remake of the latter, but given that
      the PR played up the reunion with Burn, I guessed it might be closer to
      that.

      I'd like to hear him make a more expansive record again. He's really
      gotten into a hushed, quiet, almost confidential groove and while I like
      it, I'd love to hear something big and wide open again.

      dp
    • Jason Baldwin
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 9, 2005
        Dave wrote:
        Any thoughts on the new one so far? I've only had time to give it a
        couple listens. I dig it, but it feels much closer to ROCKET HOUSE than
        LIVING...not that I was expecting a remake of the latter, but given that
        the PR played up the reunion with Burn, I guessed it might be closer to
        that.
        ---

        I really like the first track, but the version of "Her Furious Angels" that's on it is inferior to the one on WCB.

        As for the rest of it, I'm disappointed...

        ---
        I'd like to hear him make a more expansive record again. He's really
        gotten into a hushed, quiet, almost confidential groove and while I like
        it, I'd love to hear something big and wide open again.
        ---

        ...for that very reason. He's one artist I don't expect to re-make the same album over and over, but after having been spoiled by the passion, the reckless abandon of the live shows, this isn't exactly what I want to hear from him. From PERFECT DAY on, he's done very little that's got any "oomph" to it, and I miss that. He's proved he's capable of it.

        I'm not giving up, and I need to listen to it more to properly evaluate it, which I'll get to as soon as I can stop listening to Hot Hot Heat and Grand Champeen, which were essentially the soundtrack to my long weekend in Seattle, which was over too soon. When I do, I'll write at greater length, if you want.

        -Jason
      • Dave Purcell
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 11, 2005
          Jason wrote:

          <<
          As for the rest of it, I'm disappointed...

          ...for that very reason. He's one artist I don't expect to re-make the
          same album over and over, but after having been spoiled by the passion,
          the reckless abandon of the live shows, this isn't exactly what I want
          to hear from him. From PERFECT DAY on, he's done very little that's got
          any "oomph" to it, and I miss that. He's proved he's capable of it.>>

          I heard parts of an All Things Considered interview with Chris this
          afternoon. It's here, but I haven't had a chance to go back and listen
          to the whole thing:
          http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4796460

          Chris mentioned something to the effect that this record was a direct
          reaction to all the noise and bombast in pop music, and that he enjoyed
          making a quiet record that is still striking. Which is fine, but as
          Jason notes, he's been doing that for several records in a row. At the
          end of the story, the interviewer mentions that his next record is going
          to be (or was) recorded with a full band and is "loud gothic rock" (his
          term, not Whitley's, as near as I can tell).

          <<When I do, I'll write at greater length, if you want. >>

          Please do. I'm heading out of town for two conferences and won't have
          time to settle in with it for at least another week or so.

          dp