RE: [fearnwhiskey] whisper, whistle... ?

  • Carl A Zimring
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 4, 2005
      > Heavy breathing rhythm tracks would be *so* on target. If something
      > occurs to you, let me know.

      I'm not coming up with titles from the 1970s, but in more contemporary music, one of my favorite examples of this is Erykah Badu's "I Want You". The breathing is part of the lead vocal, but the way the vocal is mixed into the track makes it less of a lead and part of the rhythm. It's hypnotic and maybe my favorite song she's done. I don't think it was particularly successful on the charts (it's a long song), so we're stretching the boundaries of pop. Quite danceable though.

      Would the backing vocals in Steely Dan's "Show Biz Kids" be along the lines of what you had in mind, Carl? The words are almost beside the point, and the vocals carry the rhythm of the track. Plus one wail qualifies as the only solo in the song!

      Carl Z.
    • Jason Baldwin
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 7, 2005
        Carl W. wrote:
        < Heavy breathing rhythm tracks would be *so* on target. If
        < something occurs to you, let me know.

        If memory serves, much of the percussion on Tom Waits' last album, REAL
        GONE, is all vocal loops.

        -Jason, awake too early in Seattle post-Grand Champeen
      • Carl A Zimring
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 7, 2005
          > Carl W. wrote: < Heavy breathing rhythm tracks would be *so* on target.
          > If < something occurs to you, let me know.
          >
          > If memory serves, much of the percussion on Tom Waits' last album, REAL
          > GONE, is all vocal loops.

          I am suddenly remembering that one of Stevie Wonder's mid-80s songs (c. 1987) has samples of his heartbeat as the rhythm track. Not a vocal, but outside the bounds of typical bodily noises in song.