Clip: Frank Black Hints At New Pixies LP Again

  • Carl A Zimring
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2005
      <http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-08/02.shtml#pixies>
      Frank Black Hints At New Pixies LP Again

      Caroline Bermudez reports:
      What do you do if you're a band that finds itself underappreciated in your own time? First, break-up (preferrably with bitterness). Second, you don't talk to each other for years. Third, achieve cult status and have everyone and their mother cite you as an influence. Fourth, you get back together and go on a highly publicized reunion tour. Fifth, record the inevitable reunion album. After 14 years, the Pixies have announced plans to achieve step five.

      In a recent interview with the NME, frontman Frank Black revealed, "We don't want to overstay our welcome in terms of performing under the banner of a reunion. With the exception of Australia we've kind of played everywhere that we can play, so we're thinking, gee, we enjoy being in a band together again. So even if we just get together once in a blue moon to play the old songs, how are we gonna do that without coming off as tacky? So I suppose one way to accomplish that is to work on some new material."

      There is no word yet as to when the Pixies will enter the studio to begin recording the follow-up to 1991's Trompe le Monde. Since their reunion last year, the band released the single "Bam Thwok", which was not featured on the soundtrack for Shrek 2 and contributed a cover of "Ain't That Pretty At All", to Enjoy Every Sandwich, a tribute album to the late Warren Zevon. They are currently hitting the festival circuit, with headlining slots at Reading and Leeds. Black's Americana-flavored solo effort, Honeycomb, was released by Back Porch Records on July 19. Pixies dates:

      08-17 Paredes de Coura, Portugal - Paredes de Coura Festival
      08-18 Hasselt, Belgium - Pukkelpop
      08-19 Biddinghuizen, Netherlands - Lowlands Festival
      08-23 Dublin, Ireland - Landsdowne Road ^
      08-25 Saint Cloud, France - Festival Rock en Seine Domaine National de Saint Cloud
      08-26 Reading, England - Reading Festival
      08-27 Leeds, England - Leeds Festival
      08-28 Edinburgh, Scotland - T on the Fringe

      ^ with Kings of Leon

      * Pixies (Unofficial): http://www.pixiesmusic.com