Clip: Robbie Fulks (The Onion)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2005
      <http://www.theonionavclub.com/feature/index.php?issue=4123>

      Robbie Fulks

      By Kyle Ryan

      Although he made his debut with 1996's Country Love Songs, Chicago
      singer-songwriter Robbie Fulks really established his persona with a
      track from his 1997 record South Mouth: "Fuck This Town" was a kiss-off
      to Nashville after Fulks' bad experiences working for a music-publishing
      company in the post-Garth Brooks gold rush. The song perfectly
      represented the anti-establishment resolve of the then-burgeoning
      alt-country scene, and it became the definitive Fulks statement?to his
      dismay.

      A serious, unironic student of country-music history, Fulks rebelled
      against that limiting precedent, beginning with his 1998 major-label
      debut Let's Kill Saturday Night, where he all but abandoned his silly
      side and his earlier work's straight-up twang in favor of slick, poppy
      songs. The record never took off, and in 2000, Fulks returned to
      Bloodshot with The Very Best Of Robbie Fulks. Fans confused by Saturday
      Night's slick veneer took comfort in the familiar levity of "Roots Rock
      Weirdoes" and "White Man's Bourbon." But that Fulks disappeared again
      with 2001's Couples In Trouble. The self-released, self-financed record
      veered into noisy experimentalism, with Fulks pushing country's
      boundaries and receiving critical acclaim in the process. That year, he
      also released 13 Hillbilly Giants, an album of little-known country
      covers.

      Fulks takes another left turn on his new album, Georgia Hard, released
      this month on Yep Roc Records. Neither traditional nor boundary-pushing
      per se, it explores the smooth-sounding country music of the '70s and
      early '80s. But it also has its share of vintage Robbie Fulks:
      "Countrier Than Thou" is another uptempo kiss-off track, this time
      directed at country traditionalists and hipsters, and "I'm Gonna Take
      You Home (And Make You Like Me)" is a comic duet with Fulks' wife,
      Donna. Before the release of Georgia Hard, Fulks spoke with The A.V.
      Club about adultery, his musical restlessness, and the intractable
      appeal of "Fuck This Town."

      The Onion: What does the title Georgia Hard reference? You didn't live
      in Georgia, did you?

      Robbie Fulks: No, it was named on the spur of the moment. It was called
      Reality Country, and then it was pointed out to me that that's a really
      stupid title- which I'm just sorry somebody hadn't pointed out to me
      sooner. It came up on my website; somebody mentioned that was a really
      dumb title. And I said to my wife, "Is that a dumb title?" She was like,
      "Oh yeah, everybody thinks it's a dumb title, but everybody's too scared
      to tell you." [Laughs.]

      O: Both the title track and "Where There's A Road" have a strong
      autobiographical nature, which your previous records have lacked.

      RF: Yeah, I really tried not to write that kind of song for all my life,
      and I don't know, I felt like giving myself license to do that the last
      couple of years. I guess at a certain point, you think, "Well, I'm old
      enough. Maybe I can give this a try and not come off sounding too
      pretentious or stupid."

      O: Is that what's kept you from doing it in the past?

      RF: I don't like the "wise" voice in songwriting. I don't like the voice
      of experience and wisdom that a lot of people go for - and it bugs me,
      that self-romanticizing "I've been everywhere, listen and learn from me"
      shtick. I've tried to avoid it, but in doing so, I've come up with
      plenty of slight songs about cars or Susanna Hoffs or whatever. So maybe
      that's a downside too.

      O: The new one almost seems like a country concept record. The cover and
      some of the songs have an "old" feeling. Did you have a concept and a
      cohesive sound in mind?

      RF: Yeah, it was definitely intended to be a look back toward that era.
      I guess '70s, but '70s in mind, as 1965 to 1980, or '85 even. I was just
      really feeling strongly in love with that whole style of music over the
      last couple of years. And again, just getting older and getting
      middle-aged and being a guy with a wife and family and mortgage and a
      house in the suburbs and all that stuff, I guess. Probably this kind of
      music took on more resonance than it did for me when I was 15. But I
      think there's a lot of earnest soulfulness to it, and I don't know, for
      whatever reason, this music - I'm talking about Don Williams and Mel
      Street and Gene Watson, especially Gene Watson, all that stuff - has
      really just bowled me over in the last couple of years. And probably
      when I'm in my 70s, I'll be listening to Garth Brooks, and then on from
      there. [Laughs.] Always trying to catch up with distinct trends. It's
      old, so it's good!

      O: But you've also said country music has been on the decline for the
      past 30 years - that starts squarely in the '70s.

      RF: I said that? [Laughs.]

      O: If this is the kind of stuff that led country to its current, awful
      state, how can you resolve that in your mind? For instance, in "Fuck
      This Town," you say "And I thought they'd struck bottom back in the days
      of Ronnie Milsap." But now you say you've been listening to Milsap.

      RF: Yeah, that's a case in point. Ronnie Milsap is a guy that I have to
      say I was wrong about to an extent. Like, his first couple of records, I
      found out when I actually bothered to sit down and listen to them, had
      loads of good stuff on them and loads of good singing on them. He sings
      better than I'll ever dream of being able to sing. And so in that sense,
      it was rash of me to mock him - but the later stuff still sucks, you
      know. [Laughs.] Right after those first couple of records - right into
      the crapper.

      Take Ronnie as an example of the progress or regress of the last
      however-long in music. He comes along in the mid-'70s, and he's got hits
      by Dan Penn and great writers like that, and the records are constructed
      by actual, in-studio performances... At this point, country music - and
      indeed. every other form of popular music - hit records are constructed
      bar-by-bar by engineers sitting in front of a screen. That's how I
      differentiate a lot of these questions of quality: Are records
      performances, or are they mechanical constructions?

      Then too in country, there is this syndrome of always playing catch-up
      with pop trends and trying, in a sort of half-hearted or half-aware way,
      to ape sounds in pop music. I think that's probably been a malevolent
      trend overall in country music; I think that's been responsible for some
      bad sounds in country music. I think country does something really well,
      and when it stops doing it, it starts being a pale imitation of pop
      music that betrays what's really important and valuable about itself.

      O: And you think that really began to change with Garth Brooks?

      RF: Well, it just changed the whole industry so that a hit album was
      something that sold 14 million copies, and all the sudden you couldn't
      have a country song that sold a million copies and made much difference
      to Music Row anymore. Suddenly, it was this mega-Disney World kind of a
      atmosphere on Music Row. So I think just by changing the business model,
      which isn't his fault or anything, but just by his massive success, he
      had a lot of negative influence on the art of country music - because of
      course, the art of country music, the art of anything, you have to be
      able to take risks, and [there's] the whole risk aversion of having to
      sell 10 million records.

      But what country does, I think, is tell simple, universal stories that
      are specifically aimed at what you might call "common people," but can
      be appreciated by anybody through the honesty and the language and the
      quiet craft with which they're made.

      O: How did writing Georgia Hard with this unifying concept in mind
      compare to writing your other albums?

      RF: I didn't find it really a concept too much. It's what I was
      listening to at the time, and there certainly weren't that many
      stylistic boundaries. [Georgia Hard] has that cut-up novelty song on it,
      and the hokey murder ballad on the other hand. The boundaries are really
      wide on that record.

      O: It seemed like there weren't a lot of boundaries on Couples In
      Trouble, either.

      RF: Yeah, it wasn't too much of a country record. It was more of a
      Chicago record, I think.

      O: Exactly. You don't like to repeat yourself musically, so was Georgia
      Hard a reaction to the more experimental nature of Couples In Trouble?

      RF: I think so, yeah. I think I just really missed writing country songs
      after what I was doing. It's like writing haikus - it's such an exact
      and disciplined form.

      O: Thematically, it seems like adultery has always been a popular theme
      for you, but it's all over this record: "All You Can Cheat," "Doin'
      Right (For All The Wrong Reasons)," "You Don't Want What I Have," "If
      They Could Only See Me Now," and even to a certain degree on "I'm Gonna
      Take You Home." What's going on?

      RF: I don't know - I guess I'm obsessed with it, I would say. [Laughs.]
      I must think about it a lot. I couldn't really say, you know? It's
      probably one of the constants in life, especially once you're married.
      It's just like the wolf at the door; it's something that's always there,
      even in the happiest of marriages, which mine is. It's always kind of a
      vague, usually unarticulated threat that's waiting to destroy your life,
      like a big cinderblock falling down on your head when you walk down the
      street. It's one of those remote things you always worry about. And I
      think the form that I'm working in, too, kind of brings it to the fore.
      Especially in '70s country music, my God, it's like the most
      sex-obsessed music that you could ever dream of. It's just drenched in
      carnality.

      O: You recorded this on your own nickel, then shopped it around. Why did
      you do it that way? You're an established artist.

      RF: I just like to be left alone, really. [Laughs.] I like to be alone
      and independent. I was tied to Bloodshot for six records or something
      like that - a lot of records. They had opinions - and you know, why not,
      they've got you under a big contract, and they're paying for the
      record - and mostly, they don't like this song so well, and they don't
      think that should be on the record. It's all within their rights as
      people who are paying for the music, I guess, and then you know it got a
      bit more severe [with Geffen], with more money in it, and the idea of
      getting a hit was a little more prominent in the recording process.
      Really, since that record... I won't get to make that many records, you
      know? How many records do you make in a career? Ten records if you're
      lucky. It's just like a finite number. I would much rather spend time
      saving the money, and then spend my own money, and not worry about
      anybody's opinion except my own, than compromise this little point and
      this little point and end up with a product that I can't really 100
      percent go out and defend to somebody like you. It's just saving up the
      money that's the bad part.

      O: It's not the cheapest proposition, even though the album only took
      you 15 days to do.

      RF: Yeah, it was like a $47,000 record... It's a pretty expensive little
      record, but still, I'd rather do it that way, and for sure there's no
      sane independent-record person that's going to give me that much money
      to do a record. That's another part of it: getting to make your own
      budget decisions. For example, on the first record, I got to work with
      Tom Brumley, who's a really seminal steel player from the Buck Owens
      band in the '60s. When I found out his availability and his
      price - which I think was $400 per session - the label came back and
      said, "Nah, it's too much money." I said, "C'mon, it's Tom Brumley." So
      I just said, "Whatever, I'll pay for it." I think it's a worthwhile
      expenditure. It's not expensive in the overall scheme of things. But
      every little decision like that that comes up... little things like that
      are so pleasing to splurge on.

      O: Did you just license the record to Yep Roc, or do they own it?

      RF: No, I went out with the idea of somebody owning it, mostly because I
      wanted to get as much of that $47,000 back as I could... I got most of
      it back when I signed with Yep Roc, so you know, whatever, I'll have to
      make the other 10 back off it.

      O: Yep Roc has been doing a lot lately, particularly with people who
      used to play on Bloodshot, like The Sadies and Th' Legendary
      Shack*Shakers. It's like Bloodshot isn't the only game in town anymore.

      RF: They definitely have to watch over their shoulder now for sure. Yep
      Roc's got a lot going for it. Principally, the thing that drew me over
      there, the guy that runs it is one of the most easy-to-get-along-with
      guys that you'd ever meet in that world. He's a really good listener, in
      the way people say Saul Bellow was. [Laughs.] He's just really, intently
      attentive to things. Besides that, you can't help but open magazines and
      see these four-color ads for Yep Roc Records in somewhat expensive
      magazines. I don't know where they get the resources, but apparently
      they have them. Glenn [Dicker, the label's manager] only explained it by
      saying that they've grown the company really kind of steadily and
      smartly over the years. They started with the distribution business.
      [When] I went down and visited there, we were shocked there was a huge,
      UPS-style warehouse on one half of the building, and on the other half,
      they've got the label business. Just on the label side, there's probably
      25 people working in different offices and stuff. It's kind of huge,
      compared to... I was used to the Bloodshot thing, where it's like four
      super-committed people down in the basement working 15-hour days, so
      something kind of productive and exciting is happening for sure at Yep
      Roc.

      O: How do you think fans are going to react to Georgia Hard?

      RF: I have no clue, you know? My reaction to it is kind of based on the
      playing, really. The playing is the thing that really sounds startlingly
      good to me on this record. However good the songs or the singing are, I
      can't really judge myself. That's for other people to decide. I think,
      based on playing, it will be well-received. I hope it will be. And I
      think my ear just gets better almost in spite of myself, just from doing
      it time after time over the years, knowing when to stop working on a
      song, or knowing how to improve a song, or knowing how to arrange a
      song.

      O: Has your playing changed much? Is there more of an economy to it,
      like knowing when to stop?

      RF: No, I've declined as a player in some ways, because I haven't been
      doing the bluegrass thing. If you don't use those chops every night like
      I was when I was playing with [Chicago bluegrass collective Special
      Consensus], they just kind of go away and atrophy. I think my sense of
      time has gotten a little bit better over the years, but really, in so
      many ways, I find at 42, you're the player you were when you were 15,
      just not as on fire and out to change the world, maybe. The ways that
      you can improve are so subtle and limited, I find. When I was 15, I had
      been playing guitar for four years, and now that I've been really
      playing for however long, the difference is kind of negligible, I'm
      depressed to say. [Laughs.]

      O: That's disheartening.

      RF: I played a lot less on this record. I played rhythm on most of the
      songs, but not even on all that. Before, I would have played rhythm on
      everything naturally, but I didn't on this one. And I didn't play any
      solos or anything, so I really restricted my playing on this record.

      O: Do you feel like there's no set place for you? It's like you're too
      country for the indie world, but you're too much of a smartass for the
      mainstream country world.

      RF: I'm too old at this point, I think.

      O: So does it feel like there's not really a comfortable place?

      RF: Oh yeah, for sure, and I think a surprising amount of it has to do
      with where I live. If I lived in Austin or Nashville, it wouldn't be
      quite so strange, what I'm doing. But the fact that I live here...
      People think there's a scene here, there's a community here, and then
      where you live affects the sound of your music. All of those things are
      only slightly true - none of it's really essential to what I'm doing. I
      could live in Missoula, Montana, and do what I'm doing, and it wouldn't
      sound that different. We're all influenced by the records we hear. I
      don't sit around listening to Chicago music day after day; I listen to
      the same things everybody else does, more or less. I think it's
      confusing being a country singer in Chicago. It seems to me the sort of
      thing you have to explain, you know? Really, I just ended up here by
      accident.

      O: It seems like you've stepped away from the guy who wrote "Fuck This
      Town." You don't really play it...

      RF: I tried to move away from that the day after I wrote it! [Laughs.]

      O: Right, but the onesheet that comes with this record mentions it
      several times. Has it been tough to shake that smartass persona and have
      people look at you more as a straight songwriter?

      RF: It is hard to shake, yeah. To tell you the truth, I don't understand
      at all why it should be so... It's like, if you put out a record, and
      two of the songs on the record are funny, then all the sudden you're a
      guy that writes funny songs. The other 13 don't count for anything. It's
      very strange how the funny songs apparently rise up in people's brains
      to pollute the rest of the catalogue, you know? [Laughs.] Yeah, I don't
      get that at all. Somebody wrote about this record that it was mostly on
      the funny side, and I'm always really surprised to see it. Again, it has
      two songs with laugh lines in it.

      But musically, to get back to that question, I haven't helped matters by
      doing different-sounding records. That's been a way that I've insisted
      on indulging myself making records. It's always been important to me,
      but I'm pretty sure that it's handicapped me too.

      O: That could make it hard to figure out who the real Robbie Fulks is.

      RF: My records sound more like each other than any of them sounds like a
      Kim Richey record, and almost all of them are performed live. Like I was
      saying earlier, it's proved to be kind of important to me
      philosophically, and for efficiency and other reasons. And a lot of them
      have the same players on them, you know? Robbie Gjersoe plays on
      Hillbilly Giants and Let's Kill Saturday Night, and on songs that sound
      totally dissimilar and have totally different guitar tones, but you can
      kind of tell it's his hands on the neck of the guitar. It's his approach
      that puts together a guitar phrase, so I think there's continuity there,
      but it's not in-your-face continuity like you'd hear from one Mutt
      Lange-recorded track on a Shania Twain record to the next Mutt
      Lange-recorded track. There's no continuity imposed by marketing
      concerns?unfortunately. [Laughs.]