Paul Pena (Re: Topsoil/Haywire Playlist)

  • czimring
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2002
      Welcome, Steve!

      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., you wrote:
      > *Paul Pena/Gonna Move/New Train/Hybrid

      What's this? We just picked up the soundtrack of _Genghis Blues_ last
      week and love it. Was this an older album of Pena's or more recent stuff?

      Carl Z.
    • Steve Gardner
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2002
        > --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., you wrote:
        > > *Paul Pena/Gonna Move/New Train/Hybrid
        >
        > What's this? We just picked up the soundtrack of _Genghis Blues_ last
        > week and love it. Was this an older album of Pena's or more recent stuff?

        This is an album that was recorded in 1973, but not released until 2000 on
        the Hybrid label. I like it quite a bit. I just got it. It's pretty funky.
        It also includes "Jet Airliner", obviously his most famous song.

        By coincidence, I had a friend that was recommending Genghis Blues to me.
        I've never seen it and didn't even realize it was about Paul. He mentioned
        it had some parts in it where Paul was doing some Tuvan throat singing.
        Well, as a coincidence, Tim Eriksen does some Tuvan throat singing on the
        new Cordelia's Dad record. I don't think I've ever heard that on a rock
        album before.

        I don't know much else about Paul Pena. I'm pretty new to him. Is he still
        alive? Anyone know anything more about him?

        steve
      • czimring
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2002
          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Steve Gardner" <steve@t...> wrote:
          > By coincidence, I had a friend that was recommending Genghis Blues
          to me.
          > I've never seen it and didn't even realize it was about Paul. He
          mentioned
          > it had some parts in it where Paul was doing some Tuvan throat singing.
          > Well, as a coincidence, Tim Eriksen does some Tuvan throat singing
          on the
          > new Cordelia's Dad record. I don't think I've ever heard that on a rock
          > album before.

          You're going to love the film then. You'd think a synthesis of
          acoustic blues and Tuvan throat singing would come off as gimmicky,
          but Pena makes it sound as natural as can be, kind of like a John Lee
          Hooker moan. The story of the journey to Tuva is amazing and Pena
          comes off as a very sweet man.

          I think one of the tracks off the 1973 record is included in the film
          soundtrack; it sounded pretty funky. The rest of the music in the
          film is closer to Delta blues, mostly Pena and his acoustic guitar.

          > I don't know much else about Paul Pena. I'm pretty new to him. Is
          he still
          > alive? Anyone know anything more about him?

          He was diagnosed with liver cancer a few years ago but that was
          apparently a mistake. As far as I know, he's still alive and living
          in the Bay Area, though I don't know if he's musically active. The
          film covers his life, music and health problems up to 1995 in good detail.

          Carl Z.
        • Laura A Watt
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2002
            >I don't know much else about Paul Pena. I'm pretty new to him. Is
            >he still alive? Anyone know anything more about him?

            I don't have any recent news of him, but did see him play live a
            little over a year ago, in Berkeley (Carl, you may remember, this was
            Craig and I's first date!) -- very thin and feeble, but sounded
            fantastic. I don't think his health allows him to play very often,
            but he's still around and hanging in there...

            laura

            *****
            http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/~lawatt
            "You said to me, 'You're from California;
            you laugh too easily'" --Mark Eitzel
          • Deliberate Strangers
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2002
              Paul Pena's songs on the Ellipse Art throat singing comp is great. I know
              his own CD which as released a while back is from the 70's. Does he have
              more recent stuff available?
              I'll forward the fireworks request to Ms. Scratchy.

              Tom

            • Mock the DJ
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 26, 2004
                I believe (no pun intended) that it's been mentioned here before, but you
                can find a nifty version/cover of that song on the Macha loved Bedhead CD (a
                joint effort between the bands Macha and Bedhead) as well. Worthy of
                Haywire airwaves.

                Paul

                http://wine.msn.com/