Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on June 02, 2005

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2005
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on June 02, 2005

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      The Miracles - You've Really Got A Hold On Me - The Complete Motown
      Singles - Vol. 2: 1962 - Motown / Hip-O*
      [ Tip to aspiring DJs out there - begin your show with a Smokey
      Robinson song whenever possible. I should write a book on this kind
      of stuff. ]

      Herman Hitson - You Are Too Much For The Human Heart - You Are Too
      Much For The Human Heart - Soul-Tay-Shus*
      [ This is from a new compilation of the not really well-known
      Atlanta soul singer. This compilation includes two versions of this
      song - one "sweetened" & one "unweetened." What the heck - I went
      with the "unsweetened." Anyway, sweetened or not, this is one great,
      anguished vocal. ]

      Eddie Floyd - Bring It On Home To Me - Rare Stamps - Stax
      [ Terrific upbeat version of the Sam Cooke song. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Nina Simone - Save Me - Soul Diva Sessions - Union Square

      Bill Withers & Bobby Womack - It's All Over Now - Just As I Am /
      Still Bill - Raven

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Big Sandy & His Fly-Rite Boys - The Money Tree - It's Time - Yep
      Roc
      [ Headlining Friday (June 10) at the Blueberry Hill Duck Room as
      part of Twangfest. Also on the bill are Matt Grimm & The Red Smear,
      Nora O' Connor, & Moot Davis (w/ Pete Anderson). ]

      Lambert, Hendricks, & Ross - Gimme That Wine - Everybody's
      Boppin' - Columbia
      [ According to Steve Pick, all their vocal parts are
      approximated from the lines an improvising saxophone player would
      play. Kind of makes sense when one listens to the vocals. That Steve
      Pick - he knows his jazz. That John Wendland - eh, not really. ]

      Jimmy McGriff - All About My Girl - Mojo Mod Club Party - Mojo*
      [ Really interesting article about Jimmy McGriff in the Spring
      2005 issue of Wax Poetics magazine. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The 8th Day - You've Got To Crawl (Before You Walk) - Invictus
      Chartbusters - Sequel

      The Reigning Sound - I'll Cry - Too Much Guitar - In The Red

      The Raveonettes - If I Was Young - Pretty In Black - Columbia

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Love Experts - Your Shining Hour - Cuba Street EP - Undertow*
      [ Appearing at the Red Sea a week from Saturday (6/11) at the
      Red Sea. This is their CD release party for the "Cuba Street" EP
      which just came out on Undertow Records. Opening up is Waterloo. ]

      The Delgados - Everybody Come Down - Universal Audio - Chemikal
      Underground

      The Eastern Dark - Johnny & Dee Dee - Do The Pop! - Shock

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Dick Dale & His Del-Tones - Misirlou - Pulp Fiction OST - MCA
      [ Appearing a week from Friday (June 10) at Mississippi Nights. ]

      Sleater-Kinney - Jumpers - The Woods - Sub Pop*

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Neko Case - Buckets Of Rain - Sweetheart 2005 - Hear Music
      [ Headlining at the Twangfest finale a week from Saturday (6/11)
      at the Pageant. Also apprearing are the Townsmen, Brent Best (of
      Slobberbone), & the Bottle Rockets. ]

      Steve Dawson - Outta Yer Mind - Boat - Undertow*
      [ Appearing Saturday (June 11) at the Twangfest BBQ & Twangclips
      presented by KDHX & Undertow. This takes place at Schlafly
      Bottleworks in Maplewood from 12-5 PM. The event is free & also
      includes other Undertow recording artists (Glossary, Waterloo, Adam
      Reichmann) & Diesel Island. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Bad Folk - Horse Thieves - Below The Law - Self*
      [ Bad Folk is having their CD release party this Friday (June 3)
      at Lemmons. Also appearing are Three Fried Men, Bad Ass Jones & The
      Gold Bondsmen, & the Mondads. ]

      Jon Dee Graham - Majesty Of Love - The Great Battle - New West
      [ Appearing Wed night (6/8) at the Tap Room as part of
      Twangfest. Also on the bill are Milton Mapes & the Meat Purveyors.
      This night will be emceed by a prominent spoon-carrying KDHX DJ.
      Hmmm...I wonder. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Caitlin Cary & Thad Cockrell - Something Less Than Something More -
      Begonias - Yep Roc*

      Son Volt - Tulsa County - A Retrospective 1995-2000 - Warner
      Bros. / Rhino*

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      James McMurtry - Can't Make It Here Anymore -
      www.jamesmcmurtry.com - Self*
      [ This one was dedicated to the people attending the big Jim
      Talent fundraiser in downtown St. Louis today. Maybe George W. Bush
      got to hear this song by a fellow Texan. So let's do the math - a
      person making minimum wage getting $5.15 an hour (let's say no taxes
      are removed) could attend this $2,000 a plate dinner if he/she puts
      aside the money earned in 388 hours (i.e. 48.5 working days). All to
      be with people dedicated to making sure minimum wage stays at $5.15
      an hour. Makes sense to me. ]

      The Beat Farmers - Reason To Believe - Tales Of the New West -
      Rhino
      [ At this point, I kicked myself for not playing Fun Boy
      Three's "The Lunatics Have Taken Over The Asylum." ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Little Otis - I Out-Duked The Duke - The Complete Motown Singles -
      Vol. 2: 1962 - Motown / Hip-O+*
      [ I had a request for this answer song to Gene Chandler's "Duke
      Of Earl." ]

      Roy Montrell - (Every Time I Hear That) Mellow Saxophone - The
      Specialty Story - Specialty

      Singin' Sammy Ward - Big Joe Moe - The Complete Motown Singles -
      Vol. 2: 1962 - Motown / Hip-O*
      [ Big Joe Moe - This is the bouncer making life difficult for
      Singin' Sammy Ward. ]

      Eddie Cochran - Summertime Blues - Loud, Fast, & Out Of Control -
      Rhino

      Buddy Love - Heartbreak Hotel - Songs The Cramps Taught Us - STCTU

      Don & Dewey - Koko Joe - Loud, Fast, & Out Of Control - Rhino
      [ Tip to aspiring DJs out there - end your show with a monkey