Clip: Twangfest hits St. Louis next week

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2005
      <http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entertainment/stories.nsf/music/story/81C4E3C11FCDFADF8625701300324915?OpenDocument>

      Rock or country?
      By Barry Gilbert
      Of the Post-Dispatch
      06/02/2005

      They're not suckers, they're Supersuckers, and the manic band from Seattle
      will give Twangfest 9 a kick in the pants next Thursday night.

      Eddie Spaghetti and his bandmates moved from the Sonoran Desert of Tucson,
      Ariz., to Seattle just in time to mostly ignore that city's grunge movement
      of the '90s. But they will expose their Southwestern roots during a
      one-night-only Big Show: a double set featuring one of rock, and one of
      country.

      And St. Louis' four-day celebration of rootsy rock and country will go
      upscale, if not uptown, when it moves from smaller venues - mainly the
      friendly but spatially challenged Duck Room - to the roomy Pageant for its
      finale.

      Chicago-based singer Neko Case will headline the final night of Twangfest
      9, which runs this year from Wednesday through Saturday, June 11. Case will
      be supported on the bill by hometown heroes, the Bottle Rockets.

      Returning this year will be (see boxes for full schedules and details):

      * Twangpin (June 10): An afternoon of bowling and music at Saratoga Lanes.

      * Twangclips (June 11): An afternoon of rare video clips hosted by Barry
      Mazor of No Depression magazine, at the Schlafly Bottle Works; outside, the
      Twangfest BBQ will feature live music.

      Music, of course, is what it's all about, and the Supersuckers' appearance
      will be special, says Mark Wyatt, a Twangfest board member and Columbus,
      Ohio-based musician.

      "It's a pretty big deal," Wyatt says. "They're not touring right now, and
      we're bringing them out to do this show. We're figuring the Duck Room will
      be sold out.

      "They're really good at both (country and rock). They've done tours as the
      Country Supersuckers. It went over so well, people would ask them to do
      country on their rock tours. But they are a Seattle rock band."

      And a wonderfully twisted one, as the band applies punk-fueled, three-chord
      attitude to the trinity of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll - with an
      occasional tongue-in-cheek shout out to Satan and mayhem. They also have a
      "Fake Encore: U.S. Patent Pending."

      The shift on the final night from the Duck Room to the Pageant - both of
      which are owned by Blueberry Hill proprietor Joe Edwards - coincides with
      longtime Twangfest co-sponsor KDHX-FM (88.1) becoming more involved this
      year as a partner.

      "That's a big change," Wyatt says. "They (KDHX) looked into seeing if we
      could get Neko Case, but she's gotten a lot bigger and the Duck Room's too
      small. ... With KDHX being our partner, it's another reason I'm worrying a
      little less about (filling) the Pageant."

      The goal for community radio KDHX and Twangfest is to develop the kind of
      reputation and respect that has been earned by the Austin City Limits
      Festival and public TV station KLRU in Austin, Texas. Those two are firmly
      linked in the minds of music fans, and the partnership that began with the
      "Austin City Limits" TV show also has spawned CDs and DVDs.

      "We're never going to be South by Southwest," Wyatt says of the massive
      music industry showcase held in Austin each spring. But Twangfest, he says,
      can continue to grow as a "really cool festival."