Clip: Joe Strummer's Walker Soundtrack to Be Reissued

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2005
      This reminds me that I enjoyed the Sid & Nancy soundtrack a lot -- plenty
      of atmospheric instrumentals from Pray for Rain and a great Strummer song
      ("Love Kills").

      Carl Z.

      <http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-06/02.shtml#strummer>

      Joe Strummer's Walker Soundtrack to Be Reissued

      Jason Toon reports:
      During the long career nap between the Clash and the Mescaleros, Joe
      Strummer recorded an awful lot of substantial, exciting music-- but because
      most of it was on soundtrack albums for flop indie films, even many
      Strummer fans have never heard it. Astralwerks will take a step to amend
      that with the July 26 reissue of Strummer's soundtrack to Alex Cox's
      little-seen 1987 film Walker.

      The album was Strummer's first post-Clash full-length work, following on
      his contribution of a few tracks to Cox's Sid & Nancy. To properly set the
      mood for the tale of William Walker (a despotic, pro-slavery American
      mercenary who conquered Nicaragua with a private army in the 1850s),
      Strummer uses largely rustic Latin motifs, along with the odd big-band
      mambo or Appalachian country tune. Only two cuts on the original album
      feature vocals, both by Strummer ("Tennessee Rain" and "Unknown Immortal").
      Everything is executed with surprising skill and imagination for somebody
      only two years removed from "We Are the Clash". While a definitive
      tracklist is not yet available, Astralwerks says the reissue will add three
      new tracks to the original's 14: "Straight Shooter" (B-side to the
      "Filibustero" single), and "Filibustero (Freestyle Mix)" and "Brooding Six"
      (from a limited-edition 12").

      So should Walker be considered Strummer's debut solo album, as Astralwerks
      claims? This writer feels that 1989's Earthquake Weather still holds
      spiritual claim to that title-- Strummer sings on every song, and it wasn't
      recorded as an adjunct to another creative work-- but Astralwerks can toot
      whatever horn they like, as long as they keep the Strummer reissues coming.
      To the lasting dismay of the Clash army, Strummer's more guitar
      rock-oriented soundtrack work from such films as Sid & Nancy and Permanent
      Record remains out of print-- and don't even get us started on mythic lost
      soundtracks like When Pigs Fly or I Hired A Contract Killer. We're sure
      it'll all add up to a killer box set someday, but Christ-- couldn't he have
      recorded for Scorsese or Spielberg, so the rest of us might've had a chance
      to hear it?

      * Astralwerks: http://www.astralwerks.com/