Clip: Patti Smith to Curate Meltdown Festival

    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2005
      <http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-05/06.shtml#melt>

      Patti Smith to Curate Meltdown Festival

      Zach Vowell reports:
      Thirty years after releasing the brainy counterpart to The Ramones, aka
      Horses, Patti Smith has been recruited to curate the 2005 Meltdown Festival
      held in London, and according to the festival's website, it appears the
      punk rock poetess has not lost her sense of quality control. The festival
      spans from June 11-26, and the performances will be split between the Royal
      Festival Hall and the Queen Elizabeth Hall. First and foremost among her
      inspired festival choices is her own performance of Horses in full,
      alongside the album's producer John Cale. She will also play on during many
      nights, on stage or on the same bill with many of the artists listed below.

      And by no means does it end there. Smith will also share the stage with
      Kevin Shields and Cat Power, and on June 18 she will perform alongside a
      powerhouse group of female musicians under the banner "Songs of Innocence,
      Protest Songs and Lullabies": Beth Orton, Kristin Hersh, Tori Amos, and
      Sinead O'Connor. Some shows will be Smith-less, however, including
      performances by Yoko Ono, Antony and the Johnsons, and Billy Bragg.
      Television will appear on June 20 and 21 at the Queen Elizabeth Hall.

      Finally, the festival will wrap up on June 26 with a Jimi Hendrix tribute
      conducted by none other than Patti Smith, joined by Jeff Beck and two
      members of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Flea and John Frusciante. Here's the
      lineup so far:

      06-11 Brian Jonestown Massacre, Ed Harcourt (QEH)
      06-17 Yoko Ono (QEH), Rachid Taha (RFH)
      06-18 Tori Amos, Beth Orton, Sinead O'Connor, Kristin Hersh, and Patti
      Smith(RFH); Bill Bragg (QEH)
      06-19 Patti Smith, Steve Earle (RFH)
      06-20 Television (QEH)
      06-21 Television (QEH)
      06-22 The Coral Sea featuring Kevin Shields, Cat Power, and Patti Smith
      (QEH)
      06-24 Antony and the Johnsons (QEH)
      06-25 Patti Smith performs Horses plus special guest John Cale (RFH)
      06-26 Jeff Beck, Flea, John Frusciante, and Patti Smith (RFH)

      * Meltdown Festival 2005: http://www.rfh.org.uk/meltdown
    • Andy Benham
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9, 2005
        On 8 May 2005 at 8:26, Carl Zimring wrote:

        > <http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-05/06.shtml#melt>
        >
        > Patti Smith to Curate Meltdown Festival

        And closing this festival as well. An excellent line up

        http://www.summersundae.com/
        Message 3 of 4 , May 9, 2005
          --On Monday, May 9, 2005 1:14 PM +0100 Andy Benham <a.s.benham@...>
          wrote:

          >> Patti Smith to Curate Meltdown Festival
          >
          > And closing this festival as well. An excellent line up
          >
          > http://www.summersundae.com/

          Indeed. Does Yo La Tengo's appearance at a summer festival imply a new CD
          is coming? Or is this to hawk the compilation?

          Carl Z.
        • Andy Benham
          Message 4 of 4 , May 9, 2005
            On 9 May 2005 at 8:20, Carl Zimring wrote:

            > --On Monday, May 9, 2005 1:14 PM +0100 Andy Benham <a.s.benham@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > >> Patti Smith to Curate Meltdown Festival
            > >
            > > And closing this festival as well. An excellent line up
            > >
            > > http://www.summersundae.com/
            >
            > Indeed. Does Yo La Tengo's appearance at a summer festival imply a new CD
            > is coming? Or is this to hawk the compilation?
            >
            > Carl Z.
            No idea, probably the latter. I was very surprised to see the booking,
            since they so rarely come to these shores.