Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on April 28, 2005

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2005
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on April 28, 2005

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Sam & Dave - I Thank You - Mojo Presents Southern Soul - Mojo*
      [ This is on a CD which just came out with the latest issue of
      Mojo (May 2005 - Marc Bolan on cover). The CD alone is worth the
      price of the magazine but the magazine has some great stories this
      month including an article about music that has come out of Memphis
      written by the always interesting Robert Gordon ("It Came From
      Memphis") and another in-depth article about Mavis Staples. ]

      Jackie DeShannon - Needles & Pins - The Jack Nitzsche Story:
      Hearing Is Believing 1962-79 - Ace*

      Laura Lee - Dirty Man - That's How It Is - Chess / MCA

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Steve Wynn - Cats & Dogs - What I Did After My Band Broke Up - DBK
      Works*
      [ A shame this got overlooked for last week's Caninecast. This
      retrospective of Steve Wynn's solo work just came out this week and
      covers the period from 1990-2004. The album also comes with a bonus
      disc of Steve Wynn performing some of his favorite songs with just
      piano (courtesy of Chris Cacavas of "Green On Red" fame) for backing.
      Steve Wynn has begun recordong a new album which is slated to come
      out late this year. ]

      The Jackson 5 - I Want You Back - Anthology - Motown
      [ Since the preceeding Steve Wynn song featured a Jackson 5
      guitar riff (as acknowledged by Steve Wynn in the liner notes), I
      figured a Jackson 5 song with the original guitar riff was in order. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Solomon Burke - Wealth Won't Save Your Soul - Make Do With What You
      Got - Shout Factory*

      Susan Cowsill - Nanny's Song - Just Believe It - Blue Rose
      [ This was released in 2004 on the German label, Blue Rose, and
      has not yet been released domestically. I can't quite figure out
      why. This is an absolutely beautiful song. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Joe Tex - S.Y.S.L.J.F.M. (The Letter Song) - The Love You Save /
      I've Got To Do A Little Better - Connoisseur Collection

      Al Green - I Want To Hold Your Hand - wecanworkitout - Harmless*

      The Poets - Baby, Don't You Do It - Immediate Mod Box Set - Castle*
      [ Yet another version of this song garnering Memphis To
      Manchester airplay. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Glenn Tilbrook - Observatory - The Incomplete Glenn Tilbrook -
      Quixotic
      [ Glenn Tilbrook & The Fluffers will be appearing this Saturday
      (4/30) at Mississippi Nights. ]

      The Go-Betweens - Born To A Family - Oceans Apart - Yep Roc*
      [ On a partial first listen of this upcoming (May 3rd) Yep Roc
      release, I think this is one heck of a great release. ]

      XTC - Earn Enough For Us - Skylarking - Geffen

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Martha Wainwright - When The Day Is Short - Martha Wainwright -
      Zoe*

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Blue Van - Word From The Bird - The Art Of Rolling - TVT
      Records*

      The Tough & Lovely - Tough & Lovely - Born Of The Stars - Spoonful

      The Hold Steady - Certain Songs - Almost Killed Me - Frenchkiss
      [ The Hold Steady will be touring through the midwest in early
      June. There is a huge groundswell afoot (OK, Roy Kasten) trying to
      get this NYC band to make an appearance in St. Louis. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Bruce Springsteen - Black Cowboys - Devils & Dust - Columbia
      [ If you like "Tunnel Of Love", "Nebraska", and "The Ghost Of
      Tom Joad", you will definitely like this brand new release. ]

      Bob Dylan - Love Minus Zero / No Limit - Bringing It All Back
      Home - Columbia

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Louvin Brothers - Broadminded - When I Stop Dreaming - Razor &
      Tie
      [ "That word broadminded is spelled s-i-n / I read in my Bible,
      they shall not enter in / For Jesus will answer, Depart, I never knew
      you / That word broadminded is spelled s-i-n" - I feel a new West
      Wing anthem coming on here.
      ]

      Los Super 7 - My Window Faces The South - Heard It On The X -
      Telarc*

      Clarence Gatemouth Brown - Mama Mambo - Dirty Laundry: The Soul Of
      Black Country - Trikont*

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Robbie Fulks - Coldwater, Tennessee - Georgia Hard - Yep Roc*
      [ This is coming out on May 17th and features Robbie Fulks
      concentrating on just country songs this time around. As usual on a
      Robbie Fulks release, really fine songwriting and vocals. Fans
      of "Country Love Songs" will love this one, as well. ]

      Maria McKee - Barstool Blues - Peddlin' Dreams - Eleven Thirty*

      Neil Young - Lookin' For A Love - Zuma - Reprise

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Jimmie Dale Gilmore - My Mind's Got A Mind Of Its Own - After
      Awhile - Elektra Nonesuch
      [ Another great Jimmie Dale version of a Butch Hancock song. I
      still maintain that the very best Jimmie Dale Gilmore songs usually
      end up being written by Butch Hancock. ]

      The Farmer Boys - Flash, Crash, & Thunder - Flash, Crash, &
      Thunder - Bear Family

      Johnny Cash - Dirty Old Egg-Sucking Dog - The Essential Johnny Cash
      1955-83 - Columbia+
      [ This is a fine request that didn't get honored in time for
      last week's Caninecast. There is threatened dog mayhem in this one.
      Probably a good thing the dogs listening in last week missed this
      one. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Wayne Hancock - Thunderstorms & Neon Signs - Thunderstorms & Neon
      Signs - Ark 21
      [ Wayne "The Train" Hancock will be appearing at Beale On
      Broadway this Sunday (May 1) in honor of Heather's birthday. ]

      Rick Nelson - Lonesome Town - Greatest Hits - Capitol

      Arthur Alexander - Love's Where Life Begins - Dirty Laundry: The
      Soul Of Black Country - Trikont*

      Etta James - Almost Persuaded - Dirty Laundry: The Soul Of Black
      Country - Trikont*