Clip: Three Rivers Arts Festival schedule announced

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2005
      <http://post-gazette.com/pg/05117/494709.stm>

      Musical acts lined up for Three Rivers Arts Festival

      Wednesday, April 27, 2005
      By John Hayes, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

      It's been four years since the start of the Three Rivers Arts Festival's
      ambitious musical experiment, four years since the showcase of visual art
      began consciously programming music with equal artistic relevance. Four
      years since organizers hired Gary Hinston to book the music.

      "My thought was that we needed a media partner to work with," says Hinston.
      "Because Clear Channel and Infinity are already working with the big
      promoters in town, I wanted to work with a [radio] station that I knew
      would get behind the acts."

      Hinston orchestrated a limited partnership linking the festival with WYEP
      (91.3 FM), a diminutive but influential listener-supported station that
      programs from the Triple A (adult album alternative) radio format. Triple A
      performers include burgeoning alternative rock, alt-country and
      contemporary acoustic artists such as Sonic Youth, Lucinda Williams and
      Gillian Welch, whom Hinston has booked at recent Arts Festivals, and
      singer-songwriter Nanci Griffith, who kicks off this year's Three Rivers
      Arts Festival on June 3.

      Hinston says the new programming strategy is working.

      "In a non-ticketed situation, of course, you can't count tickets to see how
      many sold," he says. "But this has been good for the artists, who get to
      play for an active and enthused crowd four times the size they'd get
      without free admission. It's been good for [WYEP] because we're booking a
      major event from their playlist. And it's good for the festival to have
      people genuinely interested in the music, not just going because it's there
      and it's free. It's a win-win-win for everybody."

      This year's concert schedule

      June 3: Nanci Griffith & the Blue Moon Orchestra (7:30 p.m.)

      June 4: Citizen Cope (7:30 p.m.)

      June 5: Madeleine Peyroux (7:30 p.m.), The Mosquitoes (6 p.m.)

      June 6: Flidop Fest with Patchwork Blu, Flowdown, Poogie Bell Band & the
      Boogie Hustlers (5-9:30 p.m.)

      June 7: A Night of Dance with Labco, Pittsburgh Dance Ensemble & Dance
      Alloy (6:30-9:30 p.m.)

      June 8: Boxstep (8 p.m.), Ollabelle (7 p.m.), Hypnosurgery (6 p.m.)

      June 9: Bill Deasy (7:30 p.m.)

      June 10: Cowboy Junkies (8 p.m.), Inara George (7 p.m.)

      June 11: Drive-By Truckers (7:30 p.m.), Soda Jerk (6:30 p.m.)

      June 12: Chick Corea Y Touchstone (7:30 p.m.)

      June 13: Zany Umbrella Circus (7-8:30 p.m.), part of Family Festival

      June 14: Donna the Buffalo (7:30 p.m.), The Borderless Puzzle (6:30 p.m.)

      June 15: The Holmes Brothers (7:30 p.m.)

      June 16: Rickie Lee Jones (7:30 p.m.)

      June 17: Buckwheat Zydeco (7:30 p.m.)

      June 18: Bobby "Blue" Bland (7:30 p.m.)

      June 19: Aimee Mann (7:30 p.m.)

      More information
      All concerts are free and on the Volkswagen-sponsored Festival Stage at
      Point State Park. For more information, call 412-281-8723 or visit the
      festival's Web site at www.artsfestival.net.