Topsoil/Haywire Playlist

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2002
      Hi,

      Carl asked me to post my playlists here since I'm not going to be sending
      them to P2 anymore. I think I know most of you, but for those that don't.
      I have a weekly show that is broken into two parts. The first two hours is
      called Topsoil and it features twangy music of all kinds. The last hour is
      called Haywire and it is free format, but I tend to concentrate on indie
      rock, electronic and old college rock favorites. My favorite part of the
      day is Haywire, but my listening audience favors Topsoil. I guess I like
      the latter more because I can really branch out. There's usually some point
      in Haywire, however, where I play something brash and I can see all the
      lights in the town get brighter because everyone has turned off their
      stereos all at once. So, anyways, here is the show...I'll post the playlist
      from my oldschool punkrock show that I'll be airing tomorrow night at 10pm.
      Listen in if ya can!

      steve

      --

      Here is today's playlist. Tune in tomorrow night from 10pm-Midnight for a
      special episode of Inflammable Material, a two-hour program of oldschool

      Mike Ireland & Holler is the new album of the month for Topsoil. Tune in
      each week at 1pm to hear multiple cuts from it. However, I won't be here
      next week as I'll be having fun at Twangfest in St. Louis. I hope to see
      some of you there.

      One more thing, tickets are already on sale for our Freedy Johnston house
      concert at Pine Hill Farm on Sunday, June 16. Write to
      kurt@... for reservations.

      Cheers.
      Steve Gardner
      steve@...
      www.topsoil.net
      www.wxdu.org

      *Bottle Rockets/Bud Nanney Theme/Bottle Rockets/ESD
      [Theme song]

      *Cave Catt Sammy/No Love In You/Love Me Like Crazy/Rubric
      [The latest CD from this young rockabilly/hillbilly band from Austin.]
      *Sonny Burgess/Flattop Joint/Tennessee Border/Hightone
      *Ronnie Dawson/Down in Mexico/Monkey Beat!/Crystal Clear
      *Merle Haggard/Put Me In Your Pocket/The Peer Sessions/Audium
      *Neko Case/Duchess/The Virginian/Mint

      *Mark Erelli/Devil's Train/The Memorial Hall Recordings/Signature Sounds
      *Jesse Dayton/Roses Ain't Enough/Hey Nashvegas!/Stag
      *Blasters/I Don't Want To (Live)/Testament/Rhino
      *Will Rigby/Flap Down/Paradoxaholic/Diesel Only
      *Willie Nelson/Medley: Funny How Time Slips Away-Crazy-Nightlife/A
      Classic & Unreleased Collection/Rhino
      [Live from the Texas Opry House.]

      *Flatlanders/Wavin' My Heart Goodbye/Now Again/New West
      *Cornell Hurd Band/Maybe I Do/Song of South Austin/Behemoth
      [Featuring Marti Brom on lead vocals.]
      *Ray Price/Crazy Arms/Box Set/Bear Family
      *Bruce Robison/What Would Willie Do/Country Sunshine/Boar's Nest

      TOPSOIL ALBUM FEATURE OF THE MONTH
      Mike Ireland & Holler
      "Try Again"
      (Ashmont)
      *Welcome Back
      *Right Back Where I Started
      *Mr. Rain

      *Freedy Johnston/Bad Reputation/This Perfect World/Elektra
      [House concert on Sunday, June 16 at Pine Hill Farm. Tickets are
      on sale now, contact kurt@....]
      *Paul Pena/Gonna Move/New Train/Hybrid
      *Corey Harris/Frankie Doris/Downhome Sophisticate/Rounder
      *Ted Hawkins/I Got What I Wanted/Songs From Venice Beach/Evidence
      *Peter Case and David Perales/Poor Old Tom/Thank You St Jude/Travellin'
      Light

      *Tift Merritt/Sunday/Bramble Rose/Lost Highway
      *Jesse Sykes and the Sweet Hereafter/Don't Let Me Go/Reckless
      Burning/Burn Burn Burn
      *Kelly Kessler and the Witchia Shut-Ins/Point Of No Return/Life of
      Regret EP/Melungeon
      [Features Lawrence Peters on duet vocals.]
      *$1000 Wedding/Nadine's Probably Right/Nadine's Probably Right/Tres
      Pescadores
      *Old 97s/Singular Girl/Turn The Power On College Sampler/Elektra
      *Slobberbone/Placemat Blues/Everything You Thought Was Right Was Wrong
      Today/New West

      HAYWIRE
      ========
      *Rocket From The Tombs/So Cold/The Day The Earth Met.../Smog Veil
      [Rocket From The Tombs were an extremely important (and good)
      pre-punk band from Cleveland. Members of this band went on
      to Pere Ubu, the Dead Boys and the morgue (unfortunately.) Up
      until now none of this stuff had been officially released.]
      *Richard Hell/Love Comes In Spurts (Demo)/Time/Matador
      [This cut came from a 1975 rehearsal tape when Richard
      was a member of The Heartbreakers. He was gone before
      the band ever recorded their first album, though. Luckily,
      these tapes remained and Matador has reissued it along
      with other stuff from live gigs and the practice studio.]
      *Radio Birdman/Non Stop Girls/Radios Appear/Red Eye
      [The best punk rock band ever to come out of Australia,
      and yes, that includes the Saints, imo.]
      *Panthers/Panthers! Pow! Pow! Pow!/Are You Down?!/Troubleman Unlimited
      [Old styled punk from this young band from NYC.]
      *The Gossip/Gone Tomorrow/Arkansas Heat/Kill Rock Stars

      *Red House Painters/Cruiser/Old Ramon/Sub Pop
      *Thalia Zedek/1926/Been Home and Gone/Matador
      [I've had both of those songs stuck in my head all week. Haywire
      is, at the very least, a place where I can exorcise my demons.]

      *Devo/Freedom of Choice/Pioneers Who Got Scalped/Rhino
      *Trans Am/Run With Me/T.A./Thrill Jockey
      *Comet Gain/My Defiance/Realistes!/Kill Rock Stars
      *Cordelia's Dad/Brother Judson/What It Is/Kimchee
      [From their new rock record. Original songs this time instead
      of traditional. Produced by Steve Albini.]
      *Silkworm/A Cockfight of Feelings/Italian Platinum/Touch and Go
      [I love Silkworm almost as much as Carl Z. <g>]

      *Public Image Ltd/Public Image/First Issue/Virgin

      See you in two weeks.
      Steve
      --
      Steve Gardner - Topsoil/Haywire - Sun. 12-3pm
      WXDU 88.7FM Durham NC and on the Net at www.wxdu.org
      Fresh Dirt Webzine: www.topsoil.net/freshdirt
      * steve@... **** www.topsoil.net *

      --
      Steve Gardner - Topsoil/Haywire - Sun. 12-3pm
      WXDU 88.7FM Durham NC and on the Net at www.wxdu.org
      Fresh Dirt Webzine: www.topsoil.net/freshdirt
      * steve@... **** www.topsoil.net *
    • czimring
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2002
        Welcome, Steve!

        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., you wrote:
        > *Paul Pena/Gonna Move/New Train/Hybrid

        What's this? We just picked up the soundtrack of _Genghis Blues_ last
        week and love it. Was this an older album of Pena's or more recent stuff?

        Carl Z.
      • Steve Gardner
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2002
          > --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., you wrote:
          > > *Paul Pena/Gonna Move/New Train/Hybrid
          >
          > What's this? We just picked up the soundtrack of _Genghis Blues_ last
          > week and love it. Was this an older album of Pena's or more recent stuff?

          This is an album that was recorded in 1973, but not released until 2000 on
          the Hybrid label. I like it quite a bit. I just got it. It's pretty funky.
          It also includes "Jet Airliner", obviously his most famous song.

          By coincidence, I had a friend that was recommending Genghis Blues to me.
          I've never seen it and didn't even realize it was about Paul. He mentioned
          it had some parts in it where Paul was doing some Tuvan throat singing.
          Well, as a coincidence, Tim Eriksen does some Tuvan throat singing on the
          new Cordelia's Dad record. I don't think I've ever heard that on a rock
          album before.

          I don't know much else about Paul Pena. I'm pretty new to him. Is he still
          alive? Anyone know anything more about him?

          steve
        • czimring
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2002
            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Steve Gardner" <steve@t...> wrote:
            > By coincidence, I had a friend that was recommending Genghis Blues
            to me.
            > I've never seen it and didn't even realize it was about Paul. He
            mentioned
            > it had some parts in it where Paul was doing some Tuvan throat singing.
            > Well, as a coincidence, Tim Eriksen does some Tuvan throat singing
            on the
            > new Cordelia's Dad record. I don't think I've ever heard that on a rock
            > album before.

            You're going to love the film then. You'd think a synthesis of
            acoustic blues and Tuvan throat singing would come off as gimmicky,
            but Pena makes it sound as natural as can be, kind of like a John Lee
            Hooker moan. The story of the journey to Tuva is amazing and Pena
            comes off as a very sweet man.

            I think one of the tracks off the 1973 record is included in the film
            soundtrack; it sounded pretty funky. The rest of the music in the
            film is closer to Delta blues, mostly Pena and his acoustic guitar.

            > I don't know much else about Paul Pena. I'm pretty new to him. Is
            he still
            > alive? Anyone know anything more about him?

            He was diagnosed with liver cancer a few years ago but that was
            apparently a mistake. As far as I know, he's still alive and living
            in the Bay Area, though I don't know if he's musically active. The
            film covers his life, music and health problems up to 1995 in good detail.

            Carl Z.
          • Laura A Watt
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2002
              >I don't know much else about Paul Pena. I'm pretty new to him. Is
              >he still alive? Anyone know anything more about him?

              I don't have any recent news of him, but did see him play live a
              little over a year ago, in Berkeley (Carl, you may remember, this was
              Craig and I's first date!) -- very thin and feeble, but sounded
              fantastic. I don't think his health allows him to play very often,
              but he's still around and hanging in there...

              laura

              *****
              http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/~lawatt
              "You said to me, 'You're from California;
              you laugh too easily'" --Mark Eitzel
            • Deliberate Strangers
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3, 2002
                Paul Pena's songs on the Ellipse Art throat singing comp is great. I know
                his own CD which as released a while back is from the 70's. Does he have
                more recent stuff available?
                I'll forward the fireworks request to Ms. Scratchy.

                Tom

              • Mock the DJ
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 26, 2004
                  I believe (no pun intended) that it's been mentioned here before, but you
                  can find a nifty version/cover of that song on the Macha loved Bedhead CD (a
                  joint effort between the bands Macha and Bedhead) as well. Worthy of
                  Haywire airwaves.

                  Paul

                  http://wine.msn.com/