Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on March 17, 2005

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 21, 2005
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on March 17, 2005

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Doris Duke - Feet Start Walking - I'm A Loser - Kent*
      [ This brand new reissue features her two albums "I'm A Loser"
      and "A Legend In Her Own Time" (both produced by Swamp Dogg) - plus
      some rare singles cut under the name Doris Willingham. Listen to the
      first 12 songs of "I'm A Loser" all at one time since they go
      together so well (plus only two of them are as long as three
      minutes). Every month or so, I say something is a must-have soul
      reissue. Well, consider this my monthly (or so) announcement. ]

      Small Faces - Talk To You - Immediate Mod Box Set - Castle*
      [ Three CDs for the price of one with enough songs I didn't own
      to make this a good & entertaining purchase. ]

      Joe Tex - Show Me - Sock It To Em' Soul - Warner Music UK+
      [ I had a request for Joe Tex and took this song off this great
      compilation which features 60s soul tracks from the vaults Of
      Atlantic, Atco, Loma, Reprise, Stax & Warner Bros Records. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Junior Walker & The All Stars - (I'm A) Road Runner - Road Runner -
      Motown

      Curtis Mayfield - People Get Ready - Curtis / Live! - Rhino
      [ This 1971 performance by the Super Genius is one of the best
      soul live recodings, ever. ]

      Betty Harris - Break In The Road - Saturday Night Fish Fry - Soul
      Jazz
      [ The voice of Betty Harris, a song written by Allen Toussaint,
      & backed by the Meters - not a lot can go wrong in this scenario. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Martina Topley-Bird - I Only have Eyes For You - Sweetheart 2005 -
      Hear Music*

      Shelby Lynne - Where I'm From - I Am Shelby Lynne - Island
      [ Overheard from a man talking to a group behind me as this
      album was playing while Aimee Mann was getting set up for SXSW: "Man,
      this album is just made for getting it on. Listen to the bass lines.
      Yeah." ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Roky Erickson & Bleib Alien - Starry Eyes - I Have Always Been Here
      Before - Shout Factory
      [ This one went out to my brother since he's been a Roky
      Erickson fan back to 13th Floor Elevators days. The liner notes say
      that "Bleib" is an anagram for "Bible." What the liner notes don't
      tell you is that "Roky Erickson" is an anagram for "Kinky Or Score."
      You just don't get this kind of information from other play lists. My
      friend, Rick Wood, saw this song performed by Roky Erickson at SXSW a
      couple of days ago. Me, being an idiot, did not. ]

      Roky Erickson - If You Have Ghosts - I Have Always Been Here
      Before - Shout Factory*

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Bees - One Glass Of Water - Free The Bees - Virgin

      The Kinks - I'm Not Like Everbody Else - The Kinks Greatest Hits -
      Rhino
      [ This was the b-side of "Sunny Afternoon" when the single was
      released in 1966. For those of you keeping track of b-sides. I'll bet
      Bob Reuter keeps track of b-sides. ]

      Fountains Of Wayne - Better Things - This Is Where I Belong: Songs
      Of Ray Davies & The Kinks - Ryko

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Delgados - Pull The Wires From The Wall - Peloton - Chemikal
      Underground
      [ Anybody hear my less-than-impressive (from my side) interview
      with Crooked Fingers when we had them live at KDHX last Sunday? The
      lead singer, Eric Bachmann, opened up solo for the Delgados several
      months ago. They taught him that "I'm gonna" is pronounced "ham
      goony" and then you follow that with a phrase like "drop you."
      So, "I'm gonna drop you" becomes "Ham goony drop you", pronunciation-
      wise. Next thing you know, you're talking Scottish. ]

      Low - On The Edge Of - The Great Destroyer - Sub Pop*

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Pogues - Dirty Old Town - Rum, Sodomy, & The Lash - WEA
      [ My one set taking the fact that it was St. Patrick's Day into
      account. ]

      The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God - If I Should
      Fall From Grace With God - WEA

      The Pogues - Sally Mac Lennane - Rum, Sodomy, & The Lash - WEA
      [ Autobiographical song written by Shane MacGowan. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Crooked Fingers - Don't Say A Word - Live At KDHX - Self*
      [ Crooked Fingers were nice enough to come in & play seven songs
      a week ago Sunday. You will probably hear this in it's entirety
      on "Coin-Operated Radio" which airs this coming Saturday (3/26) from
      6-8 PM. ]

      The Amazing Pilots - The Price Of Winter - Hello My Captor -
      Undertow*
      [ I love this song & sure missed not hearing them play this at
      SXSW last Thursday. Their set got cut short due to one of the worst
      soundmen, ever. Never have I seen more bands angry at one soundman.
      And, in this case, deservedly so. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      James McMurtry - Can't Make It Here Anymore -
      www.jamesmcmurtry.com - Self
      [ James McMurtry has this available for free download at
      www.jamesmcmurtry.com.
      I'm sure this offended somebody. Oh, well. I think it should be
      required listening. ]

      Buck Owens - High On A Hilltop - Buck Owens Sings Tommy Collins -
      Sundazed

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Betty Lavette - What Condition My Condition Is In - Dirty Laundry:
      The Soul Of Black Country - Trikont*

      Shangri-Las - Remember (Walkin' In the Sand) - Myrmidons Of
      Melodrama - RPM
      [ Myrmidon: A faithful follower who carries out orders without
      question. - OK, now I know. This is one heck of a great retrospective
      of the Shangri-Las. ]

      James Carr - Love Attack - You Got My Mind Messed Up - Kent

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Freddie Scott - Cry To Me - The Best Of Freddie Scott - Columbia /
      Legacy

      Rolling Stones - Out Of Time - Aftermath - Abkco

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Buddy Holly (Featuring The Picks) - Bo Diddley - The Devil's
      Jukebox - Uncut

      Don & Dewey - Koko Joe - Loud, Fast, & Out Of Control - Rhino
      [ Like I said, I'm a sucker for a good monkey song. That, and
      any song about a dog that has a happy ending. If the dog has an
      unfortunate demise, no Memphis To Manchester airplay. ]

      - - -
      [ So concludes the special "Is It John Or Is It Memorex" edition
      of Memphis To Manchester. Thanks for listening and / or reading the
      play list. ]
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 22, 2005
        --On Tuesday, March 22, 2005 1:10 AM +0000 jwmoosefan2001 <johnw@...>
        wrote:

        > My
        > friend, Rick Wood, saw this song performed by Roky Erickson at SXSW a
        > couple of days ago. Me, being an idiot, did not.

        And I am curious to know what a Roky Erickson concert in 2005 is like. I
        went to his birthday party three years ago and he didn't seem interested in
        playing music at all back then.

        Carl Z.
      • Jason Gross - Perfect Sound Forever
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 23, 2005
          > Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:54:15 -0500
          > From: Carl Zimring <cz28@...>
          >Subject: Roky Erickson live? (was: Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on
          >March 17, 2005)
          >
          >And I am curious to know what a Roky Erickson concert in 2005 is like. I
          >went to his birthday party three years ago and he didn't seem interested in
          >playing music at all back then.

          I don't think that he wasn't interested- it was more than he wasn't capable
          of doing so then. It's only very recently that he's recovered somewhat
          from a pretty troubling last 10 years, now under the care of his young
          brother. He also appeared at a SXSW panel about the 13th Floor Elevators
          and actually talked about some of the old times. I'm writing about this for
          Harp but for now, lemme just say that it was great to see him back.

          Best,
          Jason

          Perfect Sound Forever
          online music magazine since 1993- now new and semi-improved!
          <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 24, 2005
            --On Wednesday, March 23, 2005 9:52 AM -0500 Jason Gross - Perfect Sound
            Forever <perfectlist@...> wrote:

            > I don't think that he wasn't interested- it was more than he wasn't
            > capable of doing so then. It's only very recently that he's recovered
            > somewhat from a pretty troubling last 10 years, now under the care of
            > his young brother. He also appeared at a SXSW panel about the 13th
            > Floor Elevators and actually talked about some of the old times. I'm
            > writing about this for Harp but for now, lemme just say that it was
            > great to see him back.

            His Pittsburgh stay was a big part of turning things around, but from the
            sound of things, he's in even better shape now. Glad to hear it, and I
            hope this isn't the last we hear of Roky.

            Carl Z.
          • jwmoosefan2001
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 24, 2005
              --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:

              > --On Wednesday, March 23, 2005 9:52 AM -0500 Jason Gross - Perfect
              Sound
              > Forever <perfectlist@f...> wrote:
              >

              > > I don't think that he wasn't interested- it was more than he
              wasn't
              > > capable of doing so then. It's only very recently that he's
              recovered
              > > somewhat from a pretty troubling last 10 years, now under the
              care of
              > > his young brother. He also appeared at a SXSW panel about the
              13th
              > > Floor Elevators and actually talked about some of the old times.
              I'm
              > > writing about this for Harp but for now, lemme just say that it
              was
              > > great to see him back.
              >
              > His Pittsburgh stay was a big part of turning things around, but
              from the
              > sound of things, he's in even better shape now. Glad to hear it,
              and I
              > hope this isn't the last we hear of Roky.
              >
              > Carl Z.

              My friend who saw him as SXSW said he only played three songs. He did
              say his performance of "Starry Eyes" brought tears to his eyes (in a
              good way). He also did "Red Temple Prayer (Two Headed Dog)". I don't
              remember what the third song was, unfortunately.

              -John