Re: Clip: Pitchfork

  • Jason Gross - Perfect Sound Forever
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 8 7:47 PM

      > Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 07:45:31 -0500
      > From: Carl Zimring <cz28@...>
      >
      >Good profile of Pitchfork, but I'm a little mystified that Pierson did not
      >mention its precursor Addicted to Noise, which established the format for
      >online music news that Pitchfork more or less uses. Neumu, Michael
      >Goldberg's post-AtN site, still does long features on the kinds of artists
      >AtN used to feature, but the news is far less regular than either AtN or
      >Pitchfork.

      Phillip Sherburne used to a great column for them. Goldberg was definitely
      ahead of his time. At the time, ATN was THE online music site- always had
      a lot of great, interesting material, features and interviews. Neumu is a
      fine publication but it's... I don't know, a bit more muted.

      PopMatters is a great online music pub that deserves a lot more
      recognition. I don't always agree with them but they always have a lot of
      thought-provoking features: <http://www.popmatters.com/>

      Best,
      Jason

      Perfect Sound Forever
      online music magazine since 1993- now new and semi-improved!
      <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
    • David Atteberry
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 8 8:13 PM
        I agree with you on popmatters. But for every headscratcher review or article (and there have been quite a few) there are two or three well written and insightful pieces.

        Gloriousnoise.com is a bit more ragged than a lot of the sites being mentioned -- think of it as the Crazy Horse of music info. sites -- but there are some good pieces and the writers unlike so many others on afore referenced sites don't take themselves so damn seriously.

        PopMatters is a great online music pub that deserves a lot more
        recognition. I don't always agree with them but they always have a lot of
        thought-provoking features: <http://www.popmatters.com/>

        Best,
        Jason

        Perfect Sound Forever
        online music magazine since 1993- now new and semi-improved!
        <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Dave Purcell
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 9 5:54 AM
          Just wanted to say I was happy to see a couple mentions of Addicted To
          Noise out here. IIRC, it was one of the first websites I visited on a
          regular basis. Good stuff, I was sad to see it go.

          dp
        • Jason Witherspoon
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 9 10:40 AM
            At 8:54 AM -0500 3/9/05, Dave Purcell wrote:
            >Just wanted to say I was happy to see a couple mentions of Addicted To
            >Noise out here. IIRC, it was one of the first websites I visited on a
            >regular basis. Good stuff, I was sad to see it go.
            >
            >dp

            Has anyone mentioned Perfect Sound Forever
            (http://www.perfectsoundforever.com) in this thread? I very rarely
            visit any of the what-you-should-think-about-music sites, but when I
            do it tends to be PSF.

            --
            Jason Witherspoon
            --- ---

            DJ Zardoz' Kozmik Romper Room:
            http://64.81.51.169:8000/playlist.pls
            (open odd hours...)

            http://www.informationclearinghouse.info
          • Carl A Zimring
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 9 11:01 AM
              Perfect Sound Forever is the gold standard in online essay-length features. Dig into the archives when you have a spare eight hours or so. I mentioned AtN because its format so closely mirrored Pitchfork (albeit from an older perspective). (AtN's demise also serves as an ideal case study in the history of internet businesses in the 90s.)

              Car; Z.

              Jason Witherspoon wrote:

              > At 8:54 AM -0500 3/9/05, Dave Purcell wrote:
              >> Just wanted to say I was happy to see a couple mentions of Addicted To
              >> Noise out here. IIRC, it was one of the first websites I visited on a
              >> regular basis. Good stuff, I was sad to see it go.
              >>
              >> dp
              >
              > Has anyone mentioned Perfect Sound Forever
              > (http://www.perfectsoundforever.com) in this thread? I very rarely visit
              > any of the what-you-should-think-about-music sites, but when I do it tends
              > to be PSF.
            • Justin Hopper
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 9 12:04 PM
                Does anyone know anything about the group touring under the name, "The
                Impressions"? They're booked for the Burgh on June 19.

                I'm super-wary of these groups for all the obvious reasons, but I must
                say I can't recall an "Impressions" coming around before - and ALL those
                knockoff groups come through Pittsburgh...

                juddy
              • richard fannan
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 9 1:07 PM
                  >From: "Justin Hopper" <juddy@...>
                  >To: <fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: [fearnwhiskey] Impressions
                  >Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:04:39 -0500
                  >
                  >Does anyone know anything about the group touring under the name, "The
                  >Impressions"? They're booked for the Burgh on June 19.
                  >
                  >I'm super-wary of these groups for all the obvious reasons, but I must
                  >say I can't recall an "Impressions" coming around before - and ALL those
                  >knockoff groups come through Pittsburgh...

                  I would be VERY suspicious. They clearly don't have Curtis Mayfield or
                  Jerry Butler. And of the other two original members, Fred Cash and Sam
                  Goodin, I pretty sure that one of them died a couple years ago.

                • Nina Melechen
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 10 7:28 AM
                    --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "richard fannan" <rfannan1@h...> wrote:
                    > >Does anyone know anything about the group touring under the name, "The
                    > >Impressions"? They're booked for the Burgh on June 19.
                    > >
                    > >I'm super-wary of these groups for all the obvious reasons, but I must
                    > >say I can't recall an "Impressions" coming around before - and ALL those
                    > >knockoff groups come through Pittsburgh...
                    > >
                    > I would be VERY suspicious. They clearly don't have Curtis Mayfield or
                    > Jerry Butler. And of the other two original members, Fred Cash and Sam
                    > Goodin, I pretty sure that one of them died a couple years ago.

                    Nope, they're both still alive, and still touring from time to time. I dunno whether the
                    band coming your way is them or not--but if it isn't, whoever it is will be hearing from
                    Cash and Gooden's lawyer, because they own the name.

                    Nina M.