Re: [fearnwhiskey] Clip: Pitchfork

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 8, 2005
      Good profile of Pitchfork, but I'm a little mystified that Pierson did not
      mention its precursor Addicted to Noise, which established the format for
      online music news that Pitchfork more or less uses. Neumu, Michael
      Goldberg's post-AtN site, still does long features on the kinds of artists
      AtN used to feature, but the news is far less regular than either AtN or
      Pitchfork.

      Carl Z.
    • Barry Mazor
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 8, 2005
        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Susan McTigue" <semctigue@y...>
        wrote:

        > An article on them from today's L.A. Times:
        > the kind of musical purists who ... gag at the Grammys.

        Well now, THAT'S one large group of purists..
      • Jason Gross - Perfect Sound Forever
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 8, 2005

          > Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 07:45:31 -0500
          > From: Carl Zimring <cz28@...>
          >
          >Good profile of Pitchfork, but I'm a little mystified that Pierson did not
          >mention its precursor Addicted to Noise, which established the format for
          >online music news that Pitchfork more or less uses. Neumu, Michael
          >Goldberg's post-AtN site, still does long features on the kinds of artists
          >AtN used to feature, but the news is far less regular than either AtN or
          >Pitchfork.

          Phillip Sherburne used to a great column for them. Goldberg was definitely
          ahead of his time. At the time, ATN was THE online music site- always had
          a lot of great, interesting material, features and interviews. Neumu is a
          fine publication but it's... I don't know, a bit more muted.

          PopMatters is a great online music pub that deserves a lot more
          recognition. I don't always agree with them but they always have a lot of
          thought-provoking features: <http://www.popmatters.com/>

          Best,
          Jason

          Perfect Sound Forever
          online music magazine since 1993- now new and semi-improved!
          <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
        • David Atteberry
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 8, 2005
            I agree with you on popmatters. But for every headscratcher review or article (and there have been quite a few) there are two or three well written and insightful pieces.

            Gloriousnoise.com is a bit more ragged than a lot of the sites being mentioned -- think of it as the Crazy Horse of music info. sites -- but there are some good pieces and the writers unlike so many others on afore referenced sites don't take themselves so damn seriously.

            PopMatters is a great online music pub that deserves a lot more
            recognition. I don't always agree with them but they always have a lot of
            thought-provoking features: <http://www.popmatters.com/>

            Best,
            Jason

            Perfect Sound Forever
            online music magazine since 1993- now new and semi-improved!
            <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Dave Purcell
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 9, 2005
              Just wanted to say I was happy to see a couple mentions of Addicted To
              Noise out here. IIRC, it was one of the first websites I visited on a
              regular basis. Good stuff, I was sad to see it go.

              dp
            • Jason Witherspoon
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 9, 2005
                At 8:54 AM -0500 3/9/05, Dave Purcell wrote:
                >Just wanted to say I was happy to see a couple mentions of Addicted To
                >Noise out here. IIRC, it was one of the first websites I visited on a
                >regular basis. Good stuff, I was sad to see it go.
                >
                >dp

                Has anyone mentioned Perfect Sound Forever
                (http://www.perfectsoundforever.com) in this thread? I very rarely
                visit any of the what-you-should-think-about-music sites, but when I
                do it tends to be PSF.

                --
                Jason Witherspoon
                --- ---

                DJ Zardoz' Kozmik Romper Room:
                http://64.81.51.169:8000/playlist.pls
                (open odd hours...)

                http://www.informationclearinghouse.info
              • Carl A Zimring
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 9, 2005
                  Perfect Sound Forever is the gold standard in online essay-length features. Dig into the archives when you have a spare eight hours or so. I mentioned AtN because its format so closely mirrored Pitchfork (albeit from an older perspective). (AtN's demise also serves as an ideal case study in the history of internet businesses in the 90s.)

                  Car; Z.

                  Jason Witherspoon wrote:

                  > At 8:54 AM -0500 3/9/05, Dave Purcell wrote:
                  >> Just wanted to say I was happy to see a couple mentions of Addicted To
                  >> Noise out here. IIRC, it was one of the first websites I visited on a
                  >> regular basis. Good stuff, I was sad to see it go.
                  >>
                  >> dp
                  >
                  > Has anyone mentioned Perfect Sound Forever
                  > (http://www.perfectsoundforever.com) in this thread? I very rarely visit
                  > any of the what-you-should-think-about-music sites, but when I do it tends
                  > to be PSF.
                • Justin Hopper
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 9, 2005
                    Does anyone know anything about the group touring under the name, "The
                    Impressions"? They're booked for the Burgh on June 19.

                    I'm super-wary of these groups for all the obvious reasons, but I must
                    say I can't recall an "Impressions" coming around before - and ALL those
                    knockoff groups come through Pittsburgh...

                    juddy
                  • richard fannan
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 9, 2005
                      >From: "Justin Hopper" <juddy@...>
                      >To: <fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com>
                      >Subject: [fearnwhiskey] Impressions
                      >Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:04:39 -0500
                      >
                      >Does anyone know anything about the group touring under the name, "The
                      >Impressions"? They're booked for the Burgh on June 19.
                      >
                      >I'm super-wary of these groups for all the obvious reasons, but I must
                      >say I can't recall an "Impressions" coming around before - and ALL those
                      >knockoff groups come through Pittsburgh...

                      I would be VERY suspicious. They clearly don't have Curtis Mayfield or
                      Jerry Butler. And of the other two original members, Fred Cash and Sam
                      Goodin, I pretty sure that one of them died a couple years ago.

                    • Nina Melechen
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 10, 2005
                        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "richard fannan" <rfannan1@h...> wrote:
                        > >Does anyone know anything about the group touring under the name, "The
                        > >Impressions"? They're booked for the Burgh on June 19.
                        > >
                        > >I'm super-wary of these groups for all the obvious reasons, but I must
                        > >say I can't recall an "Impressions" coming around before - and ALL those
                        > >knockoff groups come through Pittsburgh...
                        > >
                        > I would be VERY suspicious. They clearly don't have Curtis Mayfield or
                        > Jerry Butler. And of the other two original members, Fred Cash and Sam
                        > Goodin, I pretty sure that one of them died a couple years ago.

                        Nope, they're both still alive, and still touring from time to time. I dunno whether the
                        band coming your way is them or not--but if it isn't, whoever it is will be hearing from
                        Cash and Gooden's lawyer, because they own the name.

                        Nina M.