The Was-dom of Solomon

  • Barry Mazor
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2005
      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
      > I hadn't realized Burke had a new disc out until I saw him do a stunning
      > performance on Letterman this past week. Amazing how he can get such
      power and volume out of his voice while sitting back on his throne.

      Well, I'm not that wild about the rock-derived rhythm section on the CD.
      Comapred to the Atlantic years backing, the latter day back-up aimed at a
      crossover audience is relativey lame, to these ears. They're straght on the beat
      just when they ought to be laying off it; just not that greasy... Burke live is still
      tremendous, a phenomomen, but maybe next time they get a Allen Tousaint or
      somebody to produce him, instead of a Don Was. (Sure they will <g>)

      Barry
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 7, 2005
        --On Sunday, March 6, 2005 10:30 PM +0000 Barry Mazor <brmaz@...>
        wrote:

        > Well, I'm not that wild about the rock-derived rhythm section on the CD.
        > Comapred to the Atlantic years backing, the latter day back-up aimed at a
        > crossover audience is relativey lame, to these ears. They're straght on
        > the beat just when they ought to be laying off it; just not that
        > greasy... Burke live is still tremendous, a phenomomen, but maybe next
        > time they get a Allen Tousaint or somebody to produce him, instead of a
        > Don Was. (Sure they will <g>)

        Haven't heard the disc yet to comment, but is Toussaint producing anyone
        these days? If not him, Willie Mitchell's last disc with Al Green sure
        sounded good, or if Solomon wants to work on the west coast, I think Booker
        T. Jones has finished his ProTools classes. I don't know what Jones
        charges these days, but if I had a Bay Area band I'd been inclined to
        investigate.

        Carl Z.
      • Barry Mazor
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 7, 2005
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
          > is Toussaint producing anyone these days?

          He still pefoms, but doesn't seem to produce. In any case, you're right Carl;
          there are many who could do it. I'm just suggetsing that hey'd serve Burke
          better by getting producers who get it.

          Barry
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 7, 2005
            I'm passively working as A&R trying to raise that possibility in readers'
            heads! Did Jones's work with Willie Nelson result in more Austin or
            Nashville productions? I can imagine a whole bunch of musicians who would
            benefit from having Booker T. behind the board (and hiring session players
            -- including drummers).

            Carl Z.

            --On Monday, March 7, 2005 2:43 PM +0000 Barry Mazor <brmaz@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
            >> is Toussaint producing anyone these days?
            >

            > He still pefoms, but doesn't seem to produce. In any case, you're right
            > Carl; there are many who could do it. I'm just suggetsing that hey'd
            > serve Burke better by getting producers who get it.
            >
            > Barry
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • richard fannan
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 7, 2005