Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on March 03, 2005

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3 4:55 PM
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on March 03, 2005

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Solomon Burke - It Makes No Difference - Make Do With What You
      Got - Shout Factory*
      [ Solomon Burke covering the Band seems like it ought to work.
      And it does. Really well. The phrasing sure sounds like he learned it
      from the Last Waltz live version of the song (excepting the spoken
      intro part). This just came out this week and features songs written
      by artists such as Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger/Keith Richards, and Van
      Morrison. ]

      The Band - Ophelia - Northern Lights - Southern Cross - Capitol
      [ "Ophelia", "Acadian Driftwood", & "It Makes No Difference" are
      all on this album. And it's only considered their third or fourth
      best album? Now, that's setting the bar high. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Al Green - How Can You Mend A Broken Heart - The Absolute Best -
      Hi+
      [ This was requested at the very end of last week's show so I
      couldn't get it on the air. A vocal tour de force. This studio
      recorded version is about four minutes longer than the live version
      on "Tokyo Live!" & it just works better that way. ]

      Bessie Banks - Go Now - Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures - Vol. 2 -
      Kent
      [ Recorded in 1964 and the definitive version of this song later
      covered by The Moody Blues, Paul McCartney, & Billy Preston. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Rolling Stones - The Spider & The Fly - Out Of Our Heads -
      Abkco
      [ This song first appeared as the B-side to "(I Can't Get No)
      Satisfaction" in 1965 before it was included on this album. Some
      mighty fine originals on this album with "(I Can't Get No)
      Satisfaction", "The Last Time", and "Play With Fire." ]

      Aztec Camera - Jump - Aztec Camera - WEA International
      [ I always really liked this completely different take on the
      Van Halen song. This was a live recording made in 1984 (just can't
      stop with the VH references) & featured Roddy Frame flying across the
      stage in a leather harness. OK, that very last part probably wasn't
      true. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Clarence Gatemouth Brown - Mama Mambo - Dirty Laundry: The Soul Of
      Black Country - Trikont*
      [ This compilation which was just released by Trikont (a German
      label) features black soul and R&B artists covering country songs or
      doing country-influenced originals. Lots of songs on this I've never
      heard before and the sound is really good and the liner notes are
      extensive. ]

      Peter Wolf - Long Way Back Again - Fool's Parade - Mercury

      The Show Stoppers - Ain't Nothin' But A House Party - Beg, Scream &
      Shout - Rhino
      [ I first heard this song on the J. Geils "Bloodshot" album
      (which came out in glorious red vinyl) in 1973. This original
      version was recorded in the 60s and just tears it up. The Show
      Stoppers were made up of two sets of brothers. Unfortunately, they
      didn't exist long enough to record an entire album. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Bettie Serveert - Palomine - Palomine - Matador
      [ Appearing this Saturday (3/5) at the Blueberry Hill Duck Room.
      From Amsterdam and not often heard live around these parts - sure,
      you can miss it. But then everybody will call you crazy. The
      Transmitters are opening up this show. ]

      Bettie Serveert - Story In A Nutshell - Dust Bunnies - Matador

      Bettie Serveert - Sugar The Pill - Dust Bunnies - Matador

      Bettie Serveert - Private Suit - Private Suit - Palomine

      Bettie Serveert - Smack - Log 22 - Palomine

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Petra Haden - I Can See For Miles - Petra Haden Sings: The Who Sell
      Out - Bar None*
      [ I suspect half the listening audience really liked this and
      the other half really hated it. I guess it all comes down to whether
      you think performing the entire Who album (including the instruments
      & fake commercial breaks) with nothing but vocals multi-tracked on a
      8-track Tascam machine is a good idea or not. Hey, it works for me. ]

      The Posies - I'm Looking Through You - Beatlemania - Vol. 1 - Mojo
      [ This came out on a CD that accompanied an issue of Mojo
      magazine some time back. This performance was never released
      commercially. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Big Star - Back Of A Car - Radio City - Stax / Ardent

      The Delgados - Everybody Come Down - Universal Audio - Chemikal
      Underground

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Curtis Mayfield - Dirty Laundry - Dirty Laundry: The Soul Of Black
      Country - Trikont*
      [ Man, what a great song this is. Recorded in 1983, this
      beautiful song with biting lyrics probably won't be played at the
      next RNC. ]

      Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - This Land Is Your Land - Naturally -
      Daptone*

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      James McMurtry & The Heartless Bastards - Choctaw Bingo - Live In
      Aught-Three - Compadre
      [ Appearing next Wednesday (3/9) at the Blueberry Hill Duck
      Room. Opening is Tom Wood & Friends. Listeners sure called in & said
      they liked this song. I heard an interview with James McMurtry and
      he said he preferred this live recorded version over the studio
      recorded version. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      J.J. Cale - Rock and Roll Records - Anyway The Wind Blows - Mercury

      Bob Dylan - Tombstone Blues - Highway 61 Revisited - Columbia

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Fred Eaglesmith - 49 Tons - Drive-In Movie - Vertical
      [ Appearing this Friday (3/4) at Off Broadway. Opening are Roger
      Marin & Matt Passalacqua. ]

      Vince Taylor - Brand New Cadillac - Crazy 'Bout An Automobile - Ace
      [ This predates the Clash version on "London Calling" by about
      twenty years & was recorded at Abbey Road studios in 1959. Joe
      Moretti (who also played on Johnny Kidd's "Shakin' All Over") plays
      lead guitar on this. ]

      Nelson Riddle & His Orchestra - Route 66 Theme - Crazy 'Bout An
      Automobile - Ace
      [ Nelson Riddle composed this for the television show called,
      you guessed it, Route 66. ]

      Bo Diddley - Who Do You Love? - Loud, Fast, & Out Of Control -
      Rhino
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4 8:20 AM
        I hadn't realized Burke had a new disc out until I saw him do a stunning
        performance on Letterman this past week. Amazing how he can get such power
        and volume out of his voice while sitting back on his throne.

        Carl Z.

        --On Friday, March 4, 2005 12:55 AM +0000 jwmoosefan2001 <johnw@...>
        wrote:

        > Solomon Burke - It Makes No Difference - Make Do With What You
        > Got - Shout Factory*
        > [ Solomon Burke covering the Band seems like it ought to work.
        > And it does. Really well. The phrasing sure sounds like he learned it
        > from the Last Waltz live version of the song (excepting the spoken
        > intro part). This just came out this week and features songs written
        > by artists such as Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger/Keith Richards, and Van
        > Morrison. ]
      • Barry Mazor
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 6 2:30 PM
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
          > I hadn't realized Burke had a new disc out until I saw him do a stunning
          > performance on Letterman this past week. Amazing how he can get such
          power and volume out of his voice while sitting back on his throne.

          Well, I'm not that wild about the rock-derived rhythm section on the CD.
          Comapred to the Atlantic years backing, the latter day back-up aimed at a
          crossover audience is relativey lame, to these ears. They're straght on the beat
          just when they ought to be laying off it; just not that greasy... Burke live is still
          tremendous, a phenomomen, but maybe next time they get a Allen Tousaint or
          somebody to produce him, instead of a Don Was. (Sure they will <g>)

          Barry
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 7 5:07 AM
            --On Sunday, March 6, 2005 10:30 PM +0000 Barry Mazor <brmaz@...>
            wrote:

            > Well, I'm not that wild about the rock-derived rhythm section on the CD.
            > Comapred to the Atlantic years backing, the latter day back-up aimed at a
            > crossover audience is relativey lame, to these ears. They're straght on
            > the beat just when they ought to be laying off it; just not that
            > greasy... Burke live is still tremendous, a phenomomen, but maybe next
            > time they get a Allen Tousaint or somebody to produce him, instead of a
            > Don Was. (Sure they will <g>)

            Haven't heard the disc yet to comment, but is Toussaint producing anyone
            these days? If not him, Willie Mitchell's last disc with Al Green sure
            sounded good, or if Solomon wants to work on the west coast, I think Booker
            T. Jones has finished his ProTools classes. I don't know what Jones
            charges these days, but if I had a Bay Area band I'd been inclined to
            investigate.

            Carl Z.
          • Barry Mazor
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 7 6:43 AM
              --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
              > is Toussaint producing anyone these days?

              He still pefoms, but doesn't seem to produce. In any case, you're right Carl;
              there are many who could do it. I'm just suggetsing that hey'd serve Burke
              better by getting producers who get it.

              Barry
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 7 7:06 AM
                I'm passively working as A&R trying to raise that possibility in readers'
                heads! Did Jones's work with Willie Nelson result in more Austin or
                Nashville productions? I can imagine a whole bunch of musicians who would
                benefit from having Booker T. behind the board (and hiring session players
                -- including drummers).

                Carl Z.

                --On Monday, March 7, 2005 2:43 PM +0000 Barry Mazor <brmaz@...>
                wrote:

                > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                >> is Toussaint producing anyone these days?
                >

                > He still pefoms, but doesn't seem to produce. In any case, you're right
                > Carl; there are many who could do it. I'm just suggetsing that hey'd
                > serve Burke better by getting producers who get it.
                >
                > Barry
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • richard fannan
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 7 9:54 AM