Clip: Unrest reunion

  • David Atteberry
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1 4:13 PM
      This clip was posted on another list. After reading this I think I'm gonna dig out my old Teenbeat & Simple Machines seven inches.

      David

      Washington Post article about the Teenbeat 20th anniversary

      Music
      Teenbeat Revisits Its Salad Days
      Monday, February 28, 2005; Page C10

      Mark Robinson is hardly a teenager anymore, but he's still the
      curator of Teenbeat, the indie-rock label he founded as an Arlington
      high schooler in 1985. Robinson lives in Boston these days, yet
      Washington is where he and numerous other Teenbeat veterans assembled
      for a series of gigs marking the label's 20th anniversary. The band
      that started it all, Robinson's Unrest, reunited to headline the
      first of two shows at the Black Cat. Although the trio split a decade
      ago, it (and five other Teenbeat acts) managed to sell out the club
      Thursday night.

      The version of Unrest that performed was its final incarnation, with
      Bridget Cross on bass, and the band emphasized material from that
      period. In its early days, Unrest was chaotically eclectic, but it
      settled into a style that mixed '80s British indie-pop with the modal
      locomotion of the Velvet Underground and various Krautrock outfits.
      That's the formula it followed at the Black Cat, ranging from the
      hushed "Imperial" to the churning "Cath Carroll." The music wasn't
      complex, but it required both precision and vigor, which Robinson,
      Cross and drummer Phil Krauth supplied with no apparent strain. From
      the far side of adolescence, Unrest still sounded passionate about
      rhythm, noise and -- in Robinson's case -- girls.

      Most other Teenbeat acts have tended to sound something like Unrest,
      and that was certainly the case with the two that preceded the
      headliner Thursday evening. Eggs, which also reunited for the
      occasion, had a wider range of timbres, with congas, keyboards and
      trombone jostling the scratchy guitars. If their collage of styles
      was unpredictable from moment to moment, in its entirety it was not
      unfamiliar. Eggs were preceded by Plus/Minus, whose blend of loungy
      rhythms and noisy guitar neatly exemplified the grown-up Teenbeat
      sound.

      -- Mark Jenkins

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3 6:01 AM
        --On Tuesday, March 1, 2005 4:13 PM -0800 David Atteberry
        <bikejazzboy@...> wrote:

        > This clip was posted on another list. After reading this I think I'm
        > gonna dig out my old Teenbeat & Simple Machines seven inches.

        And I'm going to reach for my Geritol, realizing time is fast slipping
        away. We're now getting closer to a 10th anniversary of the Simple
        Machines farewell shows, oy.