Re: clip: Priced Out: Live music venues in the Village wobble on their last legs

  • Barry Mazor
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2005
      The fall of small club to developers there, and rising rent--is really just a
      follow-up to the practical loss of spaces previously used for dance company
      rehearsal spaces, for off-Broadway theatrical productions, for band reherasal
      and recording spaces. And previous to that was of course, the elimination of
      middle class people--arts-interested and otherwise--from Manhattan. There are
      now actually people in manttan who eat uh, :"Italian food" in a Chelsea Olive
      Garden fergodzsakes. they wanted to tur new York into NewYorkland, livable
      only fo the very rich, and visitable as a place such a bland imitation of itself that
      people visisting will find it to be A really Big Familiar mall--and they're getting it.

      By the time I left there, after thirty-plus much loved adult years there, I felt that
      most of the places, very many of the people connecetd to thosoe place and
      the may possibilities that I'd loved about New York were already gone.

      It made it something I wouldn't have expecetd eyars before--it amde it
      undifficult to leave.

      Barry M
      Nashville, Tennessee

      > by Douglas Wolk
      > February 11th, 2005 6:33 PM
      >
      > Why would people agree to pay astronomical rents to live in the new
      apartment buildings and high-rises that are popping up all over the East Village
      and the Lower East Side? One big selling point is the neighborhood's
      world-class live music clubs—except those same new buildings and high rents
      are driving the clubs into extinction.