Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on February 10, 2005

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2005
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on February 10, 2005

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Abbey Lincoln - If I Only Had A Brain - Get Happy: The Harold Arlen
      Centennial Celebration - Verve*
      [ This new compilation celebrating the centennial of the
      composer's birth features jazz vocal readings from artists on Verve,
      Mercury, & EmArcy. This particular version was recorded in 1998 and
      features several verses talking about the characteristics of the
      familiar Wizard of Oz principals which were written for the film but
      that didn't make it to the final cut. Terrific cut and less sprightly
      than familiar versions of this classic song. ]

      Slim Gaillard - Atomic Cocktail - Like An Atom Bomb: Apocalyptic
      Songs From The Cold War Era - Buzzola
      [ As long as I'm opening up a show with a 5 1/2 minute downbeat
      reading of "If I Only Had A Brain", I might as well follow it up with
      this cocktail jazzy sounding version of a atomic-themed song written
      during the cold war. This collection of songs was released last year
      and features almost all the songs from the "Atomic Cafe" soundtrack
      (which was never released on CD) plus lots of other gems performed by
      artists ranging from Hank Williams to Lightnin' Hopkins. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Jimmy Reed - Take Out Some Insurance - The Very Best Of Jimmy
      Reed - Rhino
      [ My introduction to Jimmy Reed was hearing this song
      in "Diner", the 1982 movie by Barry Levinson. ]

      Amos Milburn - Down The Road Apiece - The Chicken Shack Boogie
      Man - Proper
      [ This set features a couple of the bigger influences on the
      Rolling Stones. This two-CD set put out on Proper is incredibly
      priced and is a great introduction to Amos Milburn. ]

      The Rolling Stones - Prodigal Son - Beggars Banquet - Abkco
      [ This is the only cover on this album and was written by a
      Mississippi bluesman by the name of Robert Wilkins in the 1920s. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - How Do I Let A Good Man Down? -
      Naturally - Daptone*
      [ Appearing this Saturday (2/12) at the Music Cafe in Columbia.
      One worth making the 2-hr drive for. ]

      Betty Lavette - Let Me Down Easy - Soul Diva Sessions - Union
      Square
      [ I've got a Bettye Lavette compilation and several Bettye
      Lavette albums but this is the first time I've ever heard this
      killer, deep soul song. What a vocal and slow groove on this one.
      Anyway, this is a bargain-priced 2-CD compilation featuring artists
      such as Nina Simone, Betty Everett ("Getting Mighty Crowded"), Gladys
      Knight, & Aretha Franklin. ]

      The Miracles - What's So Good About Good Bye - The Complete Motown
      Singles - Vol. 1 1959-61 - Motown / Hip-O*
      [ This single is from a limited 5,000 run released by Hip-O
      where they are re-releasing every Motown single, both the "A" and "B"
      sides. This is the first volume and covers 1959-61. 155 tracks on 6
      CDs. Volume 1 is the first step in a proposed 12-part series and
      Volume 2 is slated to come out in several months and will cover
      1962. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Nick Lowe - It's All In The Game - Sweetheart Love Songs - Hear
      Music
      [ This is Nick Lowe's version of the Tommy Edwards song and is
      the opening track on this compilation of artists covering some of
      their favorite love songs which was released by Hear Music in 2004. ]

      The Monkees - Pleasant Valley Sunday - Greatest Hits - Rhino
      [ This Carole King-Gerry Goffin song features one of Mickey
      Dolenz's finest vocals. ]

      Soul Survivors - Expressway To Your Heart - Beg, Scream, & Shout -
      Rhino
      [ Once again....the best soul music box set, ever. I believe
      it's now out of print but it can be found. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      De La Soul - The Magic Number - 3 Feet High & Rising - Tommy Boy

      Billy Ball & The Upsetters - Tighten Up Tighter - The Funky 16
      Corners - Stones Throw
      [ Listen as Billy Ball & The Upsetters try to make the Archie
      Bell & The Drells song even tighter and funkier. This collection of
      funk singles compiled by Stones Throw Records includes 16 songs
      recorded between 1968 and 1974 by obscure underground groups from
      America. ]

      Booker T. & The MGs - Time Is Tight - Groove Masters - Vol. 1 -
      Stax
      [ Nope, I didn't talk over this one. And three people called in
      to say how much they liked the song. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Bettie Serveert - Hands Off - Attagirl - Minty Fresh*
      [ Coming to the Blueberry Hill Duck Room on Saturday, March
      5th. This gets the patented John Wendland "You Will Enjoy This Or
      Get Your Money Back" guarantee. ]

      The Delgados - Pull The Wires From The Wall - Peloton - Chemikal
      Underground
      [ One of the most beatutiful voices on this planet. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Libertines - What Became Of The Likely Lads - The Libertines -
      Rough Trade
      [ One of my favorite albums in 2004 - it's a wonder this album
      got made at all with the level of internal strife in that band. A
      friend was wondering how good their live show can be with one of the
      two principal singers and songwriters in the band missing. ]

      Ian Hunter - Still Love Rock & Roll - Rant - Fuel 2000
      [ Written in 2001 & I have no doubt he believes in the title of
      this song. ]

      Small Faces - Itchycoo Park - Absolutely The Best - Immediate
      [ ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Dave Alvin - Nine Volt Heart - Ashgrove - Yep Roc
      [ Appearing tonight (Thursday 2/10) at the Blueberry Hill Duck
      Room. Opening is Pieta Brown. ]

      Chuck Prophet - Apology - The Hurting Business - Hightone

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Tres Chicas - Sweetwater - Sweetwater - Yep Roc
      [ Appearing this Friday (2/11) at the
      Blueberry Hill Duck Room. Tres Chicas will be opening and Tift
      Merritt will be headlining. ]

      Neko Case - Buckets Of Rain - Sweetheart 2005 - Hear Music*

      Richmond Fontaine - Post To Wire - Post To Wire - El Cortez

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Edison Lighthouse - Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes) - The Best
      of Edison Lighthouse: Love Grows - Repertoire
      [ I love this song - And somebody right now is reading this play
      list and thinking "Best Of? What is it...a single?" ]

      Barry & The Remains - Why Do I Cry - Barry & The Remains - Epic

      Ike & Tina Turner - It's Gonna Work Out Fine - The Devil's
      Jukebox - Uncut / Charly

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Johnny Paycheck - The Wheels Fell Off The Wagon - On His Way -
      Koch*
      [ Most of the songs on this new compilation were released only
      as 45s, and this one was previously unreleased prior to this
      collection. This is a must-have for fans of "The Real Mr.
      Heartache." ]

      Elizabeth McQueen & The Firebrands - A1 On The Jukebox - Happy
      Doing What We're Doing - Freedom*
      [ This just came in so I didn't have time to listen to much of
      it. This new release is all (except for one song) cover versions of
      pub rock songs by the likes of Elvis Costello, Rockpile, and
      Squeeze. Sometimes her voice can't live up to the strength of the
      originals but it is an entertaining and well-chosen collection of
      songs. ]

      The Byrds - So You Want To Be A Rock & Roll Star? - Younger Than
      Yesterday - Columbia

      Thee Midniters - Jump, Jive, & Harmonize! - Jump, Jive, &
      Harmonize! - Teenage Shutdown

      Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five - Friendship - Louis Jordan & His
      Tympany Five - JSP

      Eddie Cochran - Sweetie Pie - 12 of His Biggest Hits/Never to Be
      Forgotten - EMI