Clips: Pitchfork on new Mountain Goats disc, Nick Cave box

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2005
      <http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-02/07.shtml>

      New Mountain Goats Album Out in April

      Aaron Mandel reports:
      Okay, who said, "a few [...] critics whose experience with drugs has
      largely been limited to listening to Lou Reed albums have enjoyed claiming
      that I don't sound "convincing.' If I'd've known these guys were gonna
      front like that, I'd've sent them postcards from jail, but hindsight is
      20/20, I guess"? Oh, shit, are we still printing the headlines bigger than
      the articles? Guess you figured it out, then-- that's John Darnielle of the
      Mountain Goats, talking to a Philadelphia paper last autumn about the move
      from writing fictional songs to basing his work on his own life.

      Last year's We Shall All Be Healed portrayed a clique of young drug users
      and general miscreants struggling to get their crap together; the material
      on the upcoming The Sunset Tree seems to cover an even earlier part of his
      life, a childhood that involved a lot of pop music (good) and parental
      abuse (bad). Darnielle went into the studio last November along with Peter
      Hughes, John Vanderslice, Franklin Bruno, Scott Solter, and cellist Erik
      Friedlander, coming out with 13 songs that are presumably a lot more
      life-affirming than we're making them sound. According to Darnielle, these
      13:

      01 You or Your Memory
      02 Broom People
      03 This Year
      04 Dilaudid
      05 Dance Music
      06 Dinu Lipatti's Bones
      07 Up the Wolves
      08 Lion's Teeth
      09 Hast Thou Considered the Tetrapod?
      10 Magpie
      11 Song for Dennis Brown
      12 Love Love Love
      13 Pale Green Things

      The album reportedly comes out April 26 in the U.S. and most of the world,
      a day earlier in the UK. This is the third Mountain Goats full-length to be
      released on 4AD Records, who no doubt signed the band solely to give their
      fellow Brits twenty-nine coveted hours of extra listening before East-Coast
      record stores open.

      The phrase "the sunset tree" comes from an obscure 19th-century religious
      song, "The Tyrolese Evening Hymn"; Darnielle says he took it from a scene
      in Samuel Butler's semi-autobiographical novel The Way Of All Flesh, where
      a clergyman beats his young son bloody because of a speech impediment that
      prevents the son from enunciating clearly while singing the hymn. Maybe the
      songs aren't that life-affirming after all... If you're raring to hear
      these songs (and, based on the radio session the Mountain Goats did for the
      BBC recently, you should be), a couple live dates have been announced
      between now and the record's release, so hopefully you live here:

      02-10 Los Angeles, CA - Echo Lounge
      02-12 Seattle, WA - Crocodile Cafe

      * Mountain Goats: http://www.mountain-goats.com
      * 4AD: http://www.4ad.com

      Nick Cave to Unveil 3xCD B-Sides, Rarities Box

      Zach Vowell reports:
      Soon after the Birthday Party disbanded in 1983, Nick Cave assembled the
      Bad Seeds and began recording in 1984. Two decades later, Cave and co. have
      released enough material under the A-side radar to allow them to release a
      3-disc, 56 track compilation, simply (and descriptively) titled B-Sides &
      Rarities. The collection will be issued via Mute on March 22, which,
      including the band's recent double release of Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of
      Orpheus, will result in five Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds discs released in
      a matter of five months.

      The material will be compiled from a variety of sources, including B-sides,
      songs from soundtracks, acoustic versions of Bad Seeds classics, tribute
      album contributions, and music recorded during various radio sessions,
      among several other sources. As key Bad Seeds member Mick Harvey puts it,
      "Basically, this is material that was B-sides, outtakes, or extra
      recordings. The other criteria was that it was a Bad Seeds recording not a
      Nick Cave recording." Apparently, that stringent criteria still left plenty
      of choices. Well, here we go:

      >> Disc One:
      01 Deanna (Acoustic)
      02 The Mercy Sea (Acoustic)
      03 City Of Refuge (Acoustic)
      04 The Moon is in the Gutter
      05 The Six Strings That Drew Blood
      06 Rye Whiskey
      07 Running Scared
      08 Black Betty
      09 Scum
      10 The Girl at the Bottom of My Glass
      11 The Train Song
      12 Cocks 'n' Asses
      13 Blue Bird
      14 Helpless
      15 God's Hotel
      16 (I'll Love You) Till the End of the World
      17 Cassiel's Song
      18 Tower of Song
      19 What Can I Give You?

      >> Disc Two:
      01 What a Wonderful World
      02 Rainy Night in Soho
      03 Lucy (Version #2)
      04 Jack the Ripper
      05 Sail Away
      06 There's No Night Out at the Jail
      07 That's What Jazz is to Me
      08 The Willow Garden
      09 Ballad of Robert Moore and Betty Coltrane
      10 King Kong Kitchee Kitchee Kee-Mi-O
      11 Knoxville Girl
      12 Where the Wild Roses Grow
      13 O'Malley's Bar Pt. 1
      14 O'Malley's Bar Pt. 2
      15 O'Malley's Bar Pt. 3
      16 Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum
      17 O'Malley's Bar Reprise
      18 Red Right Hand (Scream 3 version)

      >> Disc Three
      01 Little Empty Boat
      02 Right Now I'm a Roaming
      03 Come Into My Sleep
      04 Black Hair (Band Version)
      05 Babe, I Got You Bad
      06 Sheep May Safely Graze
      07 Opium Tea
      08 Grief Came Riding
      09 Bless His Ever Loving Heart
      10 Good Good Day
      11 Little Janey's Gone
      12 I Feel So Good
      13 Shoot Me Down
      14 Swing Low
      15 Little Ghost Song
      16 Everything Must Converge
      17 Nocturama
      18 She's Leaving You
      19 Under This Moon

      Meanwhile, Cave will performing two solo shows late in February, at these
      two imminently respectable venues:

      02-26 Bristol, England - Colston Hall
      02-27 Gateshead, England - The Sage

      * Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds: http://www.nickcaveandthebadseeds.com