New Pornographers news

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2005
      Carl Newman writes
      "We're hard at work on our new album, which should be in the hands of
      Matador by mid-March, and in the hands of real people sometime in late
      summer. Maybe September? I don't know. If it was up to me it would come out
      two weeks after we finished it, but that's just not how it's done.

      "We've become fascinated by the ability of the ebow and baritone guitar to
      sound kind of like a cello. This fixes the problem of wanting cello, but
      not wanting a cello player in your band. They take up way too much room. We
      can also get that Creation bowed guitar sound without bowing the guitar,
      and looking like a guitar-bowing idiot.

      "Dan's been coming around a lot and recording with us, more than on
      Electric Version, so that's cool. This album will have the Jackie sequel,
      "Jackie, Dressed In Cobras", for those of you that always wondered where
      Jackie's life took her/him. Neko's gonna come and sing, Nora's gonna come
      and sing, and my long lost niece is gonna come and sing with us too. Not
      because she's my niece, but because she's really good. I want a lot of
      singers. I think it will be good.

      "Various unintentional influences have crept into our work, some of which
      are quickly removed: The Moody Blues, Tubeway Army, Wings, always Wings,
      never The Beatles, Eno of course, you can't play ebow without sounding like
      Eno, Modern English, middle period post-Gabriel Genesis, The Stranglers,
      the vocal inflections on "Dreadlock Holiday" remain a steady influence,
      we're still trying to find a way to insert some dub/white reggae in the
      mix, just as an intellectual exercise, to see if we can do it without being
      dropped from the label. I know it sounds awful but it will all work out."