This amused me

  • Andy Benham
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13 3:20 AM
      From a recent edition of New Scientist

      WATCHING the music and film industries get into a muddle over
      new technology can be a lot more fun than the entertainment they
      are selling.

      Sony recently released a CD of "music from and inspired by" sister
      company Columbia's Spider-Man movie. The CD carries the now
      familiar warning that it "will not play on PC/Mac" because it is
      copy-protected using Sony's Key2audio system.

      But as a promotion for the film, the CD also promises that "with
      your copy of the Spider-Man CD and a connection to the Internet
      you will have access to exclusive behind-the-scenes video footage,
      music videos and more". The instructions are: "1. Place the
      Spider-Man CD in your computer's CD-ROM drive. 2. Log on to
      www.columbiarecords.com/spider-man 3. Click on Get Connected."

      Intrigued by the idea of a CD that is intended to work on a computer
      while simultaneously being designed not to work on a computer, we
      ran some tests. We found that the CD's music not only played
      perfectly well on a Windows PC, it also copied perfectly to a blank
      CD and happily ripped to a computer hard disc.

      We then tried to follow Sony's instructions for getting connected.
      After a while, up came the hopeful invitation to "Insert" the CD and
      press "Start". But all this brought was the error message "we were
      unable to find Spider-Man".

      So Spider-Man's copy-protection does not stop people copying but
      it does prevent them from accessing Sony's promotion for the
      movie. Cool.