Boxstep on tour

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2002
      Boxstep is a Pittsburgh band that makes epic soundscapes. Fans of the
      Dirty Three and Godspeed! You Black Emperor who might enjoy alternating
      male and female vocals on top of layers of violins, guitars and organ ought
      to check out either of their full-lenth albums (the easy one to find is
      _The Faces All Look On_ on Overcoat) or the new _By Now Even the Trees_ EP
      featuring an even larger array of instrumental firepower than before
      (adding an accordion and a second violin to the mix). The EP comes in a
      nicely letterpressed cardboard sleeve and features one of my favorite
      tracks of the year, a dark, stately ballad called "Western Exit".

      They're going on tour. I'm not sure how many of their thousand members are
      making the trip, but whichever members show up promise to deliver a
      dynamic, bracing show. Bay Area attendees get to see them with The Court
      and Spark, and the Portland bill includes Nina Nastasia, who has an
      excellent, moody record out called _The Blackened Air_. (I'm trying to
      figure out how they got on a bill with The Frogs.) Dates:

      Fri Jun 7th Milwaukee Cactus Club
      Sat Jun 8th Minneapolis 400 Bar
      Sun Jun 9th Chicago Empty Bottle
      Mon Jun 10th Omaha Socol Hall
      Tue Jun 11th Denver Lion's Lair
      Wed Jun 12th Salt Lake City Zepher Club
      Fri Jun 14th Seattle Chop Suey (w/Carissa's Weird)
      Sat Jun 15th Seattle Paradox (w/Carissa's Weird)
      Sun Jun 16th Olympia TBA
      Mon Jun 17th Portland Dante's Inferno (w/Nina Nastasia)
      Tue Jun 18th San Francisco Make Out Room (w/Court and Spark)
      Wed Jun 19th Los Angeles TBA
      Thu Jun 20th Berkeley Starry Plough (w/Court and Spark)
      Fri Jun 21st Los Angeles TBA
      Sat Jun 22nd Phoenix TBA
      Sun Jun 23rd Sante Fe The Warehouse
      Mon Jun 24th Albuquerque Launch Pad
      Tue Jun 25th Oklahoma City Green Door (w/The Frogs)
      Wed Jun 26th San Antonio Salut
      Thu Jun 27th Dallas/Denton TBA
      Fri Jun 28th Austin Emo's
      Sat Jun 29th Houston Rudyard's Pub
      Sun Jun 30th New Orleans The Matador
      Wed Jul 3nd Atlanta The Star Bar
      Thu Jul 4th Athens 40 Watt
      Fri Jul 5th Chapel Hill Local 506
      Sat Jul 6th Baltimore/DC TBA
      Sun Jul 7th Philadelphia TBA

      Carl Z.
    • jlswedberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2002
        They're playing here on July 4th? Sheesh, playing on my favorite
        holiday is NOT the way to get me to a show. <g> If I'm here, though,
        I'll see what I can do. I bet I'd like 'em.
        --Jamie S.

      • czimring
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2002
          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "jlswedberg" <jlswedberg@y...> wrote:
          > They're playing here on July 4th? Sheesh, playing on my favorite
          > holiday is NOT the way to get me to a show. <g> If I'm here, though,
          > I'll see what I can do. I bet I'd like 'em.
          > --Jamie S.

          Maybe Scratchy will shoot fireworks out of her violin for that show.
          They have a couple of mp3s hiding in their site at boxstepmusic.com,
          but the long, epic pieces aren't on the web as far as I can tell.