RE: [fearnwhiskey] Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on January 06, 2005

  • Jason Witherspoon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2005
      At 12:35 PM -0500 1/8/05, Dave Purcell wrote:
      ><<
      >The Clash - Police On My Back - Sandinista! - CBS
      > [ This song was written by Eddy Grant and I think is one of the
      >highlights of Sandinista!. "Ive been running Monday, Tuesday,
      >Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday / What have I done?
      >What have I done?" There, now it's in your head, too. ]
      >>>

      >Very interesting -- that's one of my fave Clash songs and I had no idea
      >Eddy Grant wrote it. Guess I never checked the liner notes on that one.
      >
      >dp

      It's an Equals song. The original is massive, as is most everything
      that band did-- hunt it down! Seems like "Electric Ave." (great
      song, but beyond the pale for most of indiedom apparently) &
      "Romancing the Stone" (ass, duh) keeps Eddy's first fab band off of
      too many folks' radar....

      --
      Jason Witherspoon
      --- ---

      DJ Zardoz' Kozmik Romper Room:
      http://64.81.51.169:8000/playlist.pls
      (open odd hours...)

      "We have a single system, and in that system the only question is the
      price at which the proletariat is to be bought and sold, the bread
      and circuses."

      --Henry Adams
    • Carl A Zimring
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 10, 2005

        > At 12:35 PM -0500 1/8/05, Dave Purcell wrote:
        >> << The Clash - Police On My Back - Sandinista! - CBS [ This song was
        >> written by Eddy Grant and I think is one of the highlights of
        >> Sandinista!. "Ive been running Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday,
        >> Friday, Saturday, Sunday / What have I done? What have I done?" There,
        >> now it's in your head, too. ]
        >>>>

        >> Very interesting -- that's one of my fave Clash songs and I had no idea
        >> Eddy Grant wrote it. Guess I never checked the liner notes on that
        >> one.
        >>
        >> dp
        >
        > It's an Equals song. The original is massive, as is most everything that
        > band did-- hunt it down! Seems like "Electric Ave." (great song, but
        > beyond the pale for most of indiedom apparently) & "Romancing the Stone"
        > (ass, duh) keeps Eddy's first fab band off of too many folks' radar....

        Never thought about his 80s work being stigmatized, but I always enjoyed "Electric Avenue" -- now, dammit, I will have it in my head all day long.

        (Come to think of it, a cover of "Electric Avenue" would have fit easily onto _Combat Rock_...)