Roger Miller (was hearing protection)

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2002
      Dave wrote:
      > I just read part one of a long interview with Mission of Burma in The
      > Big Takeover. Roger Miller wears headphones (like the ones airport
      > workers wear) over some other layer over top of earplugs. Three
      > layers of hearing protection. He basically can't hear a thing on
      > stage and plays by instinct. Yeesh.

      And, I bet, by vibrations from that band's volume. Miller's said his
      tinnitus began before Burma while he was composing experimental electronic
      music and the band just aggravated a pre-existing condition. Aside from
      wearing plugs at loud shows, an excellent way to preserve one's hearing is
      to NOT blast music into your ears with headphones cranked at a high volume.
      Those concentrated doses can do a number on your ears.