Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on December 09, 2004

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2004
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on December 09, 2004

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Willie Hightower - Walk A Mile In My Shoes - Willie Hightower*
      [ Honest Jon's (UK) has pulled off a great southern soul music
      reissue trifecta in 2004: First, Candi Staton, then Bettye Swann, and
      now Willie Hightower. Like the first two, fans of southern soul
      and/or country soul ought to love this release. This song was written
      by Joe South and was produced by Rick Hall of Fame. ]

      The Velvelettes - He Was Really Saying Something - The Velvelettes:
      The Motown Anthology*
      [ This new release is a two-CD compilation put out by Motown
      which has all the Velvelettes output you'll ever need. You want live
      recordings, French versions, alternative recordings, etc.? It's all
      here. This song is an alternative version and was later a big hit
      for Bananarama in the 80s. ]

      Wilson Pickett - Don't Fight It - Sock It To 'Em Soul+
      [ I had a request for Wilson Pickett. This song was on this
      import compilation put out earlier this year on Warner and single
      disc soul compilations just don't get much better than this. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Carla Thomas - Gee Whiz, It's Christmas - Soulful Christmas
      [ This track would make even the biggest sick-of-Christmas music
      curmudgeon of all crack a smile. ]

      The Yardbirds - I'm Not Talking - Live at the BBC
      [ This song was written by Mose Allison & features some
      excellent guitar playing by Jeff Beck. 26 tracks of live recordings
      on the BBC...you can't go too wrong. ]

      Muddy Waters - Mannish Boy - The Chess Box
      [ Yeah, I know, probably the most likely & expected Muddy Waters
      song to be played. Still, I never get tired of that overdriven mic
      sound on one of the most raw, intense recorded vocals of all time. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Queen Latifah - I Put A Spell On You - The Dana Owens Album*
      [ This new release by Queen Latifah (her real name is Dana
      Owens) features some terrific vocals including this Nina Simone-
      influenced version of "I Put A Spell On You." The piano on this
      track features Herbie Hancock. ]

      Elvis Costello - I Want You - Girls Girls Girls
      [ Really, I don't think obsession figures into this song at
      all. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Detroit Cobras - Baby Let Me Hold Your Hand - Baby*
      [ This album is only available as an import on Rough Trade and
      is made up of all (except for one original) covers of soul & R&B
      songs. ]

      Martina Topley-Bird - Anything - Anything
      [ One of my favorite singles of the year. I'm telling you, this
      album should have been a hit. ]

      Beth Orton - Love Like Laughter - Central Reservation
      [ I'm still disappointed I had to miss her show at the Pageant a
      couple of years ago. I think this remains the best (so far) album of
      her career. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Steve Wynn - Sustain - Here Come The Miracles
      [ The last time Steve Wynn has played in St. Louis was during
      Twangfest in 2003 where he put on a a memorable & blistering
      performance. It's about time he makes it back to St. Louis. ]

      The Figgs - Cheap Cassettes - Sucking In Stereo
      [ Thanks to Bill Silvers and Ken from Cockeysville for providing
      me with some recordings from this band out of Saratoga Springs, New
      York. Melodic pop with an edge, a sense of humor, and some really
      good vocals. ]

      The Donnas - Gold Medal - Gold Medal*
      [ This release might not be as consistent throughout as previous
      releases but this title track is as good as anything they have ever
      recorded. ]

      The Delgados - Keep On Breathing - Universal Audio
      [ If you like memorable melodies, beautiful vocals, and
      interesting arrangements on intricate pop songs, this release by the
      Scottish band is the one for you. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Prince - When You Were Mine - The Hits 1
      [ This song got a couple of listeners to call in who never
      realized this song was written by Prince. Cyndi Lauper did the better-
      known and really fine version on "She's So Unusual." ]

      Booker T. & The MGs - Jingle Bells - Soulful Christmas
      [ A mini-soul Christmas set...why not? ]

      The Jackson 5 - Christmas Won't Be The Same This Year - The Best Of
      Jackson 5: The Christmas Collection
      [ There wasn't a dry eye among Memphis To Manchester listeners
      after hearing that Jermaine Jackson got dumped during Christmas time.
      Motown artists sure made good Christmas albums. ]

      The Drifters - White Christmas - Soulful Christmas+
      [ A fine request from a listener that gives Bing a run for his
      money. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Faces - Debris - Five Guys Walk Into A Bar
      [ Reissue of the year? ]

      Bettye Swann - Don't You Ever Get Tired (Of Hurting Me)? - Bettye
      Swann*
      [ See the Willie Hightower comments at the top. ]

      Buddy Miller - Shelter Me - Universal United House Of Prayer*
      [ Soulful songs of faith, hope, and non-judgement. This will be
      one of my top albums of 2004. I don't believe he has ever headlined a
      show in St. Louis. Somebody needs to get on that. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      George Jones & Tammy Wynette - Mr. & Mrs. Santa Claus - Christmas
      Party With Eddie G.
      [ This now out-of-print collection put together by one of David
      Letterman's jokewriters remains one of the best Christmas
      compilations ever. As entertaining as a Christmas album gets. ]

      Bottle Rockets - Lawd, I'm Just A Country Boy In This Great Big
      Freaky City - Songs Of Sahm
      [ Appearing at the first annual Mound City Music Fest presented
      by KDHX. Others appearing are Son Volt, Jay Farrar, Richard Buckner,
      & Anders Parker. This benefits Habitat For Humanity, Alejandro
      Escovedo, & Karl Mueller. Great music for a great cause. ]

      Lucinda Williams - I Just Wanted To See You So Bad - Lucinda
      Williams

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Son Volt - Last Minute Shakedown - Straightaways
      [ Appearing at the first annual Mound City Music Fest presented
      by KDHX. Others appearing are the Bottle Rockets, Jay Farrar, Richard
      Buckner, & Anders Parker. This benefits Habitat For Humanity,
      Alejandro Escovedo, & Karl Mueller. Great music for a great cause. ]

      Warren Zevon - Carmelita - Genius: The Best Of Warren Zevon
      [ Kind of interesting - when this was playing, a listener called
      in to say how the melodies, simple chord progressions, and lyrics of
      Warren Zevon don't hold a candle to the likes of Todd Rundgren, Frank
      Zappa, & The Beatles. I understand what he was saying but it's
      comparing apples & oranges, isn't it? I was caught off guard but I
      did say that Hank Williams wrote songs with simple chord progressions
      and if it's so easy, why aren't there more people writings songs as
      good as Hank Williams? Sometimes, simplicity is good. Sometimes, even
      preferable. ]

      Townes Van Zandt - Mr. Mudd & Mr. Gold - High, Low & In Between
      [ I wonder what that listener would think about the lyrics of
      this song? ]

      Southern Culture On The Skids - Merry Christmas Baby - Just Say Noel
      [ They absolutely nail this. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Lavern Baker - Jim Dandy - Soul On Fire: The Best Of Lavern Baker
      [ Strangely enough, unlike the Prince song, this did not
      generate any phone calls from Black Oak Arkansas fans. ]

      The Sonics - You Got Your Head On Backwards - Garage Beat - Vol. 2
      [ This is the second of three volumes in Sundazed's Garage
      Beat '66 series. ]

      The Pretty Things - Don't Bring Me Down - Come See Me: The Very
      Best Of The Pretty Things
      [ This 2004 compilation is put out by Shout Factory and the
      sound & packaging are first rate. Highly recommended for anybody who
      likes British Invasion R&B rock & (later) psychedelic music. ]

      Barry & The Remains - Why Do I Cry - The Remains