another bassist down

  • Wilson, Carl
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2004
      Sad news that yesterday Hugh McIntyre, the bear-like bassist of the Nihilist Spasm Band, died at 68. For those who don't know, the NSB, based in London, Ont., was one of the inventors of modern "noise" music - the albums they made in the mid-sixties would circulate to influence artists from the Japanese noise scene such as Hijokaidan and Merzbow, as well as arty American and European indie bands such as Sonic Youth. More movingly, they were also a devoutly amateur collective - Hugh was a librarian by profession - who built their sculpture-like instruments by hand and for decades continued playing a London gig every Monday night whether there was an audience to hear them or not.

      A picture and more detail on my blog here:

      http://www.zoilus.com/documents/news/2004/000290.shtml

      carl w.
    • Carl A Zimring
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2004
        NSB long had many admirers at WRCT. I am glad that his death does not mean the end of the band, though I wonder how they will be different now.

        Carl Z.