Re: Clip: Klezmatics cover Woodie Guthrie

  • Susan McTigue
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2004
      Carl posted:

      http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/
      12/05/PKGOLA264L1.DTL

      For those in Los Angeles who might be interested in this concert,
      there's also one being held tonight (Monday) at Disney Hall.

      Susan
    • Kevin J. Hosey
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2004
        Because this message may go on a bit, I'll try to get the most relevant
        stuff out first.
        I am behind in my reading, but I want to commend Barry Mazor on his
        fine article/interview with Jason Ringenberg in No Depression. Having
        caught the Scorchers in 1984 and Ringenberg solo last year, I am a big
        fan and appreciate his efforts more; good work Barry.
        Also, I've been very absent for the last month and a half to two
        months; being a Democratic committeeman with state assembly and senate,
        Congressional and obviously presidential races, I was spending most of
        my non-working time on electoral events. While were were vastly
        successful overall, losing the presidential race didn't make me too
        cheerful.
        But a couple of days after the election, the county executive here, a
        Republican who is a former Democrat, introduced his 2005 budget
        proposal. With Medicaid costs possibly higher in New York State than
        anywhere else, he devised two budgets, a red and a green budget, but
        proposed the red budget, known as the scorched earth or death budget,
        with $130-150 million in cuts, including more than 3,000 workers, which
        included me, an Erie County Legislature Democratic Majority Office
        staffer.
        Well, through negotiations, threats and unbelievably bad feeling and
        political machinations, a budget that was neither the red nor the
        green, but much closer to the green, was approved at 11:48 p.m.
        Wednesday, Dec. 8, 12 minutes before the red budget would have taken
        effect by default. This new budget includes an additional one percent
        sales tax, bringing the sales tax up to 9.25 percent in Erie County.
        I am leaving out my opinions on the budget and other political actions
        (if anyone is interested, they can e-mail me), but fortunately, "only"
        480 jobs are being cut (the original green budget included about 200
        job cuts), and I have a job next year.
        Anyway, after the hours I and others put in the last month or so, I am
        finally regaining some of my energy and reduced sanity. Of course, I am
        also trying to help my mother with the holiday blues, her first without
        my late father.

        Kevin
        http://Buffaloroots.com, which had its next update stalled because of
        all of this
      • Barry Mazor
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 12, 2004
          Well thanks, Kevin, for bringing this up here and other places. It was a pleasure
          to do--and to spend the time with Jason to make it happen.

          (If you get the chance, I hope you'll consider grabbing a look, too, at the really
          large piece I have in the Nov-December ND that's still out now,--if not for long.
          It's about the secret histoiry of "Southern pop" and the role of 1920s crooner
          Gene Austin in shaping country music from outside of it-for nearly 5 years. An
          expandd take on this wil eventually be part of the book I'm working on, probably
          for publication in 2006.)

          Barry M