9758Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on September 30, 2004

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Sep 30, 2004
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on September 30, 2004

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      - -
      [ This was Part 1 of the special Pledge Drive edition of Memphis
      To Manchester. Thanks to Steve Pick for co-hosting, all the phone
      volunteers, and to everybody who supported KDHX by making a pledge.
      And remember, if you missed this week, there is still a chance to
      pledge next week. We couldn't do it without you. Thanks, again! ]

      Edwin Starr - Agent Double-O-Soul - Beg, Scream, & Shout
      [ Secret agent soul songs - a small, but mighty, genre. ]

      Jamo Thomas - I Spy For The FBI - Soul Cargo, Vol. 1

      Booker T. & The MGs - Groovin' - The Best Of Booker T. & The MGs
      [ Soul meets the Rascals providing the instrumental bed behind
      Steve & John while they attempt to whip people into a pledging
      frenzy. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Joss Stone - Spoiled - Mind, Body, & Soul*
      [ This just hit the stores on Tuesday of this week. The voice
      sounds great but the songs (most of them co-written by Joss Stone)
      aren't up to the quality of the debut album which featured all covers
      of classic songs. Still, very impressive and given her age (she was
      born in 1987), she's got a long career ahead of her. Like the first
      album, Betty Wright adds background vocals & handles some of the
      production chores. ]

      Bettye Swann - Today I Started Loving You Again - Bettye Swann*
      [ Fantastic, soulful take of the Merle Haggard song. According
      to the liner notes, she also recorded a slower duet of this song with
      Buck Owens but the record label was worried about the backlash of
      having a black female sing with a white male (this was back in the
      60s). They tried to secure that version for this compilation but to
      no avail. Anyway, fans of soul and country soul must own this. ]

      Young Holt, Ltd. - Soulful Strut - The Best Of Young Holt, Ltd.
      [ This was the instrumental background while John and Steve were
      discussing how amazed they were that commercial radio plays 50 to 100
      different songs in a week. Now, that's diversity for you. ]

      Elvis Costello - The Judgement - The Delivery Man*
      [ This betters the Solomon Burke version of this Elvis Costello
      song. Not an easy thing to do. And this new album will be available
      as a premium next week, too. ]

      The Impressions - It's All Right - Definitive Impressions
      [ I play this every Pledge Drive because it's impossible to be
      in a bad mood while hearing this song. Curtis Mayfield = Musical
      Genius. ]

      Santo & Johnny - Summertime - The Best Of Santo & Johnny
      [ They did more than just "Sleepwalk", you know? ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Outsiders - Time Won't Let me - Nuggets Box Set

      The Delgados - I Fought The Angels - Universal Audio*
      [ Brand new release from the Scottish band. If there's a God in
      heaven, they will come through St. Louis or Columbia while touring to
      support this release. ]

      The Posies - I'm Looking Through You - Beatlemania / Volume 1 Mojo
      Magazine CD
      [ Mighty fine (Gene Roberts-speak) version by the Posies and is
      available on a CD which accompanied a recent issue of the UK
      magazine, Mojo. It has The Beatles on the cover. ]

      Booker T. & The MGs - Day Tripper - Soul Men
      [ Instrumental background behind Steve Pick while he explained
      why track #6 is usually the superior track on any given CD. I,
      myself, am partial to track #2. Makes for a mighty interesting
      debate. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Magnolia Summer - Around & Around - St. louis Salutes The Father Of
      Rock & Roll: Brown Eyed Handsome Man*
      [ One of the standout tracks among many standout tracks
      performed by St. Louis artists on this tribute to Chuck Berry. And
      it's available as a premium. No self-respecting lover of St. Louis
      local music should think of not owning this CD. ]

      Aimee Mann - One - Magnolia OST

      Kinks - Everybody's Gonna Be Happy - Greatest Hits

      Funk Bros. - Tell Me It's Just A Rumor, Baby - A Cellarful Of Motown
      [ At this point, Steve Pick refuses to help co-host unless he
      can hear the Funk Bros. and an Isley Brothers song. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Chuck Prophet - Just To See You Smile - Age Of Miracles*
      [ Note to commercial radio programmers: HEY, THIS SHOULD BE A
      HIT. PUT DOWN THE COMMERCIAL, WALK AWAY FROM THE CORPORATE-MANDATED
      PLAY LIST, & SLAP THIS SUCKER ON. ]

      Calexico - Tulsa Telephone Book - Real: The Tom T. Hall Project
      [ I would hazard to guess that Calexico has been played as much
      as any other artist on KDHX this year. ]

      Ry Cooder - Theme From Alamo Bay - Music By Ry Cooder

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Son Volt - Tulsa County - Straightaways Promo EP
      [ Son Volt is reuniting to record another album which is very
      good news, indeed. I still think this song would have been a perfect
      addition to "Straightaways." ]

      Kelly Willis - That's How I Got To Memphis - Real: The Tom T. Hall
      Project
      [ Somewhere on a 45, I have Bill Haley doing a version of this
      Tom T. Hall song. I can't remember if it is any good. This version,
      however, is very good. ]

      Lovin' Spoonful - Nashville Cats - Greatest Hits
      [ Steve questions the math in this song. ]

      Tommy Sargent's Range Boys - Steel Guitar Boogie - Brad's CD Of
      Steel - Vol. 2
      [ The Range Boys used to get under Tommy Sargent's skin by
      calling him "Serge" instead of "Sarge." ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Neko Case - Tightly - Black Listed
      [ The new and not-yet-released live Neko Case CD called "The
      Tigers Have Spoken" is available as a premium. ]

      The Byrds - Drug Store Truck Drivin' Man - The Byrds Box Set

      Friends Of Dean Martinez - Chunder - The Shadow of Your Smile

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Tom Waits - In The Neighborhood - Swordfishtrombones
      [ "Well, the eggs chase the bacon,
      Round the fryin' pan" ]

      Golden Gate Quartet - Atom & Evil - Like An Atom Bomb
      [ One of the best song titles ever. ]

      Rev. Aubrey Ghent - Just A Closer Walk With Thee - Brad's CD Of
      Steel - Vol. 2

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Louis Jordan - Five Guys Named Moe - Jumpin' & Jivin' At The Jubilee
      [ Amazing sound quality on this live recording from 1944. ]

      Wynonie Harris - Quiet Whiskey - Lovin' Machine
      [ Another Memphis To Manchester favorite. ]

      Paul Revere & The Raiders - Just Like Me - The Essential Ride 1963-
      67

      The Sonics - Strychnine - Here Are the Sonics!!!

      The Beatles - And Your Bird Can Sing - Revolver

      Candi Staton - Stand By Your Man - Candi Staton