9218Re: [fearnwhiskey] Ronnie Ray-gun

  • Steve Gardner
    Jun 7, 2004
      Does Billy Bragg have any Reagan songs? (And does Langford? Thatcher,
      sure...)
      =

      Specifically about Reagan is "I Don't Need This Pressure Ron". It's a b-side
      to an old single, but now it can be found on the Rhino b-sides CD called
      Reaching to the Converted. Also the DC Remix of "Days Like These" which can
      be found on the Help Save the Youth of America EP.

      Other songs that are certainly Reagan influence, but they don't specifically
      mention him, such as "Help Save the Youth of America" and "Think Again".

      steve, Billy Bragg freak

      DAYS LIKE THESE (D.C. REMIX)

      It's morning in America and you can be your best
      If you have a valid credit card and can pass a urine test
      It's midnight in El Salvador, they're spending dollars in your name
      And it's no bloody consolation that Reagan can not run again

      They'll trade with the Ayatollah if they can't convince Congress
      The only type of patriot is an anti-communist
      And I shake my head and wonder what would Joe McCarthy say
      If he could walk through downtown Washington DC today

      The CIA on campus are taking down some names
      Inviting folks to join them in their coke and dagger games
      And does it ever prick your conscience, as "We are the world" you sing
      When you know today we're so far away from the dreams of Martin Luther King

      The Brotherhood Of The Elephant and the Party Of The Ass
      Are desperate for contestants to take part in the farce
      And selling democracy down the tubes with the ad man's expertise
      The majority by their silence will pay for days like these

      Peace, bread, work and freedom are the best we can achieve
      And wearing badges is not enough in days like these

      Words & Music : Billy Bragg
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic