7655RE: [fearnwhiskey] Re: songs about globalization

    Nov 8, 2003
      --On Friday, November 7, 2003 1:56 PM -0500 "Wilson, Carl"
      <cwilson@...> wrote:

      > Oops, let's try that again. A pretty good list, despite including some
      > hippie-dippie crap, can be found here:
      >
      > http://www.rethinkingschools.org/publication/rg/RGResource01.shtml
      >
      > It includes Iris Dement's "Wasteland of the Free."

      And a couple of Bruce Cockburn's higher-profile songs, though you could
      tack up most of Cockburn's records from about 1979 on a wall, put a
      blindfold on, throw darts and wind up hitting relevant titles. His more
      recent albums play up the speed of travel and communications theme more,
      but his songs cover military brutality, to the influx of trucks and
      factories in Latin America, and (as the URL above mentions) the role of the
      IMF in keeping poor nations poor. (That song, by the way, was the first
      one I know of that got labeled because of the PMRC's scrutiny over lyrics.
      Go figure that after all the hand-wringing over WASP that a song about
      geopolitics would be the first one labelled.)