7649RE: [fearnwhiskey] Re: songs about globalization

  • Wilson, Carl
    Nov 7, 2003
      Others to check out on this theme and loosely related ones:

      Spearhead/Disposable Heroes of Hip-Hoprisy
      Lyrics Born's new "The Last Trumpet" ("Healthcare battles bio-engineering /
      for the worldwide scare of plague that we're fearing") (warning:
      controversial stuff on terrorism, i think, for most american students)
      Ozomatli
      Manu Chao
      Antibalas
      El Vez (seriously! sort of!)
      Springsteen's "Youngstown" ("From the Monongahela valley to the Mesabi iron
      range
      To the coal mines of Appalachia the story's always the same")
      Propaghandi's "Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes"
      Warsawpack (new Canadian band - Rage against the machine meets Acid jazz,
      which is not as bad as it sounds actually)
      Rickie Lee Jones' new "Tell Somebody (Repeal the Patriot Act)" (on "Evening
      of My Best Day," a fair return to form just out).
      Desaparecidos (Conor Oberst's punk band) - "$$$$" (" it's the dollar signs
      and the big bright lights inequality franchised every location is mine you
      just do your part form a line lets march under the golden arch march march
      march march"); "Manana" ("we will cover the earth like air and water
      tomorrow is blank well just fill it in with our little answers"); "The
      Happiest Place on Earth," and the rest of that Read Music/Speak Spanish lp
      Eric B. & Rakim, "Casualties of War" (1991 Gulf War rap)
      Clash, "I'm So Bored With the USA" (no gettin' round it)
      Caetano Veloso
      The soundtrack to the documentary "Life & Debt" (including Ziggy Marley,
      Mutabaruka, Peter Tosh and even Buju Banton(!))
      Radiohead, it has to be admitted
      Asian Dub Foundation, "Basta"
      etc
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic