7614Playlist for Morning Show Thursday on October 30, 2003

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Oct 31, 2003
      Playlist for Morning Show Thursday on October 30, 2003

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New

      [Notes]

      Rufus Wainwright - The Origin Of Love - Wig In A Box: Songs From &
      Inspired By "Hedwig & The Angry Inch"*
      [ O.K., I admit it, I picked this up because it had artists like
      Rufus Wainwright, Spoon, Sleater-Kinney & the like on this new
      release. I had no idea what "Hedwig & The Angry Inch" was but my
      guess was it was a kid's movie about some English kid named Hedwig
      that befriended a cantankerous inch-worm or some thing like that.
      When I told somebody this, she said I was a little off track. Anyway,
      there are some great tracks on here with this Rufus track among the
      best. ]

      Joss Stone - The Chokin' Kind - The Soul Sessions*
      [ This new & bargain-priced release by the 16-year old singer from
      England is highly recommended. This was produced, in part, by Betty
      Wright and features mainly soul classics along with a White Stripes
      song and a John Sebastian song. ]
      Larry Williams & Johnny Watson - I Could Love You Baby - Looking For
      My Baby: Soul Treasures From The Vaults Of Amy-Mala-Bell*
      [ Amy-Mala-Bell was a family of NY record labels that put out a
      number of 60s soul releases. This new two-CD compilation put out by
      Sundazed includes fifty of the best (and not always the most famous)
      tracks released during that period. ]
      -------- - -------- - --------
      Oliver Sain - Going Back To Memphis - St. Louis Breakdown: The Best
      Of Oliver Sain
      [ Oliver Sain passed away this week and will be remembered for
      writing songs recorded by Fontella Bass, Ry Cooder, & Barbara Carr;
      as a bandleader; and as a saxophonist. Hopefully, listeners were able
      to hear the tribute to Oliver Sain which immediately followed this
      show on the Great American Music series. ]

      Aretha Franklin - Tracks Of My Tears - Aretha Franklin: Soul '69
      [ Bob Dylan once called Smokey Robinson "America's Greatest Living
      Poet." This version doesn't eclipse Smokey Robinson's but it's pretty
      darn good. Not coming up with a better way to describe something
      than "darn good" is why I don't claim to be a music writer. ]

      Eddie Floyd - Bring It On Home To Me - Chronicle: Greatest Hits
      [ This doesn't better Sam Cooke's original version but it completely
      changes the tempo and makes it really upbeat and it works really
      well. The book "Soulsville, USA" talks about how Eddie Floyd kept on
      with Stax to the very end even after all the other big artists jumped
      the label. I got to hear him perform "Knock On Wood" at the concert
      celebrating the opening of the Stax Museum earlier this year and his
      voice still sounded great. ]
      -------- - -------- - --------
      Johnny Fuller - Haunted House - The Specialty Story
      [ I had to play one Halloween set. This was recorded in the 50s and
      predates the Jumpin' Gene Simmons version in the 60s. Since then,
      this song has been covered by the likes of John Anderson, Jerry Lee
      Lewis, and Jackie Wilson and performed in concert by Bruce
      Springsteen. ]

      The Frantics - Werewolf - Stomp' Northwest Killers 1960-64
      [ This Seattle band recorded this in 1962 & it's primarily an
      instrumental with some good spoken werewolf folklore at the beginning
      and some good werewolf grrowls and screams interspersed throughout.
      It's Halloween, I tell you. ]

      Ronnie Cook & The Gaylads - Goo Goo Muck - Songs The Cramps Taught
      Us - Vol. 1
      [ This was the original version. The Cramps later recorded a more
      lascivious version. Hard to believe, I know. ]
      -------- - -------- - --------
      The Del-Vetts - Last Time Around - The Del-Vetts (4 Song Single)
      [ Rats....I don't have the liner notes handy (so I hope I get this
      right) but they say the lead singer/guitarist of the Del-Vetts once
      confronted Ted Nugent because he felt the Nuge appropriated parts of
      this song for the bridge to the Amboy Dukes song "Journey to the
      Center of the Mind." Son Volt used to do a really good version of
      this song live. ]

      Grand Champeen - Bottle Glass - The One That Brought You*
      [ I've heard nothing but positive reports of how good this band is
      live - They will be appearing at Frederick's Music Lounge along with
      Two Cow Garage on Saturday, November 15th. ]

      Spoon - Tear Me Down - Wig In A Box: Songs From & Inspired By "Hedwig
      & The Angry Inch"*
      [ Always good to hear a new recording by Spoon. Has (or will) this
      band ever play in St. Louis? ]
      -------- - -------- - --------
      The Replacements - Unsatisfied - Let It Be
      [ Quote from my brother: "This is my favorite album with the title
      Let It Be." ]

      Josh Rouse - Slaveship - 1972*
      [ I just got the album so I haven't had much time to listen to it yet
      but I think I'm going to really like it. Soulful sounding & great
      production. ]

      The Mekons - Wild & Blue - The Curse Of The Mekons
      [ This is my favoriteversion of this song - Featuring the lovely
      vocals of Sally Timms. ]
      -------- - -------- - --------
      The Bottle Rockets - Floatway - Songs Of Sahm
      [ Appearing Thursday (10/30) & Friday (10/31) at The Blueberry Hill
      Duck Room - Sure to be heavily attended - Looking really forward to
      hearing the new CD which was just released this Tuesday and the
      addition of John Horton makes this band even better ]

      Sir Douglas Quintet - One Too Many Mornings / Got To Sing A Happy
      Song - Together After Five
      [ How could I not follow up the last song with a Sir Douglas Quintet
      song? ]
      -------- - -------- - --------
      Mel & Tim - Backfield In Motion - If Loving You Is Wrong: 20 Cheatin'
      Heartbreakers
      [ I loved this song when I heard it as a liitle kid and I still love
      it today ]

      Bettie Serveert - Private Suit - Private Suit
      [ I thought this was one of the highlights when Bettie Serveert
      appeared in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago. ]

      Lone Justice - Ways To Be Wicked - Lone Justice
      [ Mike Campbell & Tom Petty wrote this song and it was the closest
      thing to a hit that Lone Justice ever had - Benmont Tench
      (Heartbreakers keyboardist) also played on this debut album and often
      played live with them when they appeared in Los Angeles
      -------- - -------- - --------
      The Thrills - Say It Ain't So - So Much For The City*
      [ This band from Ireland captures the Byrds and 60s/70s West Coast
      sound well & makes it a little poppier - Pretty damn catchy - It will
      be interesting to see where they go from here ]

      The Arlenes - Lonely Won't Leave Me Alone - Stuck On Love
      [ This is one of the standout tracks from last year's debut album. It
      would even be better if they let Stephanie Arlene have a few more
      lead vocals. ]
      -------- - -------- - --------
      Chuck Prophet & The Mission Express - Apology - Turn The Pigeons
      Loose
      [ This is from a live recording in San Francisco and the sound
      quality is really good - They only pressed 1,700 of these so you
      probably won't find one at a record store near you but they are
      available at http://www.bluerose-records.de On July 30th, Chuck
      Prophet and the Mission Express taped a performance in the TV studios
      of KLRU for an Austin City Limits program in front of a live
      audience. The show is scheduled to air sometime in November. ]

      Fred Eaglesmith - Water In The Fuel - Lipstick, Lies, & Gasoline
      [ If you can only get one Fred Eaglesmith album, get this one. Well,
      O.K., this and "Drive In Movie." ]
      -------- - -------- - --------
      Billy Bragg - She's Got A New Spell - Must I Paint You A Picture: The
      Essential Billy Bragg*
      [ New 2-CD (with a third bonus CD) retrospective of Billy Bragg
      remastered and attractively priced ]

      Sam Phillips - I Wanna Be Your Man - Music From The TV
      Series "Crossing Jordan"
      [ One of my favorite Beatles covers ever -Slowed down & with a
      smoldering feel about it. Sam Phillips completely reinterprets this
      and makes it her own ]

      Al Green - I Wanna Hold Your Hand - Uncut Magazine: Why Don't We Do
      It In The Road
      [ Yet another example of when the CD alone is well worth the price of
      the magazine - How come the U.K. music magazines "Uncut" & "Mojo" are
      superior to the U.S. music magazines? ]
      Charlie Rich - When Something Is Wrong With My Baby - Hi Records
      Country Meets Soul
      [ Charlie Rich does a wonderful take on the Issac Hayes & David
      Porter song made famous by Sam & Dave ]
      - -
      [ And so this concludes another episode of the Thursday Morning Show -
      Thanks for listening and/or reading the play list ]