7176Topsoil/Haywire Playlist for 9/7/3 on WXDU Durham NC

  • steve@topsoil.net
    Sep 7, 2003

      Fun show today. Oh, and beautiful day weather-wise. Why do I get the
      sneaking feeling that winter is coming early, though?

      There's a new album feature of the month this week. Tune in to hear that,
      and the Topsoil (twangy) and Haywire (free format) radio shows each Sunday
      at noon (Eastern) until 3pm on 88.7FM in the Chapel Hill-Durham area and
      at www.wxdu.org on the internet.

      See ya.
      Steve Gardner

      *Bottle Rockets/Bud Nanney's Theme/Bottle Rockets/ESD
      [Theme song]

      *Guadalcanal Diary/Trail of Tears/Walking in the
      Shadow of the Big Man/Collectables
      [FINALLY, the first two CDs from
      this 80s twangy rock band have been
      reissued. And they’ve put them both
      on one CD too. Life is good. To
      celebrate, I played one track from
      each album.]
      *Guadalcanal Diary/Please Stop Me/Jamboree/
      *Beat Farmers/Never Goin' Back/Live at the
      Spring Valley Inn 1983/Beatfarmers.com
      [I got this at milesofmusic.com. It’s
      a live set from this band at the
      beginning of their career.]

      *Jayhawks/Six Pack on the Dashboard/The
      [Following up on a request I noticed
      that WXDU actually had this rare
      album in their stacks. It’s the
      Jayhawks long out-of-print debut.]
      *Jesse Dayton/Old Faithful/Tall Texas Tales/
      *Cory Branan/Wayward and Down/The Hell You
      [A fine “slacker spiritual” that would
      fit in nicely with the same from
      Scott Miller.]
      *Scott Miller and the Commonwealth/Walk On/
      The Way EP/Sugar Hill
      [A cover of a Neil Young song originally
      on “On the Beach”.]
      *Neil Young/Motion Pictures/On the Beach/
      [And here’s another long-awaited
      CD reissue.]

      *Tom T Hall/Turn it On, Turn it On, Turn it
      On/Storyteller, Poet, Philosopher/Mercury
      [Every now and then I like to pull
      together an impromptu set of Tom T
      Hall covers. I didn’t have the REAL
      tribute album with me, but there’s
      lots of great Tom T Hall covers out
      there. As there should be!]
      *Gibson Brothers/Don't Forget The Coffee,
      Billy Joe/Bona Fide/Sugar Hill
      *Charlie Sizemore/Margie's At the Lincoln Park
      Inn/The Story Is...The Songs Of Tom T
      *Bobby Bare/Chicken Every Sunday/The Best of
      Bobby Bare/Razor and Tie
      *Joe Henry/I Flew Over Our House Last Night/
      Kindness of the World/Mammoth
      *Buddy Miller/That's How I Got To Memphis/Your
      Love and Other Lies/Hightone

      Thad Cockrell
      Warmth and Beauty
      (Yep Roc)
      *I'd Rather Have You
      *Warmth & Beauty
      *Taking the View
      *Why Go?
      *Some Tears
      *She Ain't No You
      [Finally! Thad Cockrell is set to
      release his debut full-length CD.
      This one is produced by Chris Stamey
      and it sounds awesome. It’s my
      favorite country CD of the year so
      far. I’ll play the second half next
      week. And then on the last Sunday
      of the month I’ll have Thad in live
      to perform songs from the album. The
      release date on this is Sept 23.]

      *Skeeter Davis/My Last Date (With You)/The
      Essential Skeeter Davis/RCA
      [Some songs sound even better on an
      old jukebox. There’s something about
      the production style of this era
      combined with the small speakers of
      an old 45 jukebox that just makes
      this stuff sound extra good to me.
      Here’s some of those songs.]
      *Tammy Wynette/I Don't Wanna Play House/20
      Greatest Hits/Tee Vee
      *Tanya Tucker/Would You Lay With Me (In a
      Field of Stone)/The Nashville
      Sound/Columbia Legacy
      *George Jones/The Grand Tour/Super Hits/Epic

      *Oh Susanna/Carrie Lee/Oh Susanna/Nettwerk
      [Yay! Finally a new record from Oh
      Susanna. And it’s a good one, too.]
      *Drive-By Truckers/(Something's Got to) Give
      Pretty Soon/Decoration Day/New West
      *Centro-Matic/The Mighty Midshipman/Love
      You Just the Same/Misra
      *Josh Rouse/1972/1972/Rykodisc

      *Little Willie John/Spasms/Fever: The Best
      of Little Willie John/Rhino
      *Cut Chemist/Track 1 CD 1/Rare Equations/
      *Si Begg/Grind/The Director's Cut/Novamuite
      *Omid/Double Header feat. Buck 65/Monolith/

      *Magnolia Electric Co./Just Be Simple/The
      Magnolia Electric Co./Secretly Canadian
      [Playing tonight at GO! aka Songs:Ohia]
      *...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of
      Dead/Totally Natural/Madonna/Merge
      *The Nein/War Is On The Stereo/The Nein/
      [I ended out this set with two great
      recent local releases.]
      *Disband/Basement Life/In Small Rooms/Ernest

      *Heath Haynes and the Crying Shames/Make A
      Wish/Five Deep/Demo
      [Great pop from Richmond, VA. This
      kicked off a classic set of college
      power pop.]
      *Big Star/September Gurls/Radio City/
      *Let's Active/Every Word Means No/Afoot/IRS
      [Mitch Easter is playing right now
      at Kings in Raleigh.]
      *dB's/Bad Reputation/Ride the Wild Tom

      *These Arms Are Snakes/The Blue Rose/This
      Is Meant To Hurt You/Jade Tree
      *Chisel/The Unthinkable Is True/Set You Free/
      Gern Blandsten
      [Ted Leo’s previous band.]

      Keep on Truckin'
      Steve Gardner