7127Fishing With John (was Topsoil/Haywire Playlist for 8/31/3 on WXDU) Durham NC

    Sep 1, 2003
      --On Sunday, August 31, 2003 6:11 PM -0400 steve@... wrote:

      > I rented on DVD all of the episodes of
      > the short-run TV series, Fishing With
      > John, where people go fishing with John
      > Lurie of the Lounge Lizards. They rarely
      > Catch anything, but it's always fun. One
      > Of my favorite episodes was the one with
      > Tom Waits.

      This entire series is a must-rent for anyone reading fearnwhiskey. Between
      the music, scenery and the unorthodox fishing situations John Lurie puts
      himself and his guests into, it's just non-stop entertainment. My favorite
      episode has him and Jim Jarmusch trying to fish for shark with a piece of
      cheese and a handgun, though the ice-fishing episode with Willem Dafoe may
      define my next few months.

      Did I mention the music? It's Lurie, goofy as always. The damn title track
      is as simple and catatonically catchy as is possible.

      out on the water,