5542Re: Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on May 02, 2003

  • ahacksaw1
    May 5 7:32 AM
      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Lance Davis
      <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:

      > The same exact description could work for the Beasties' Paul's
      > Boutique, which came out within a few months of the De La's
      > masterwork. Come to think of it, Paul's is the B-Boys'
      > masterwork.

      Not everyone agrees with me, but I like De La's second album,
      De La Soul Is Dead, almost as much as Three Feet High.
      "Bitties in the BK Lounge" is classic. And their fourth one, Stakes
      Is High, is also excellent. It's a more "serious" record, but it still
      has that De La Soul goofiness, in the best way.

      > Oh, and you're right about Bettie Serveert. Palomine is a
      > destroyer of an album and I think Log 22 might be #2 on their
      > list. White Dogs is one of the greatest songs ever written to
      > simultaneously be influenced by the Velvets and NOT be
      > annoyingly obvious about it.

      I haven't spent enough time with the new Betties record, but I
      loved it on first listen--I think it's their best since Lamprey (which I
      like even better than Palomine, despite the truly atrocious
      production). Right before I got my copy, I dug out Palomine for
      the first time in ages, and I was pleasantly surprised by how well
      it's stood the test of time. What a great record.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic