5533Re: [fearnwhiskey] Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on May 02, 2003

  • Lance Davis
    May 2, 2003
      > De La Soul - The Magic Number - 3 Feet High & Rising
      > [ Somehow this passed me by in 1989 and I just recently got
      > introduced to it - The album draws from all kinds of musical
      > styles, mixes it together, and makes it sound like nobody
      > else. ]

      The same exact description could work for the Beasties' Paul's
      Boutique, which came out within a few months of the De La's
      masterwork. Come to think of it, Paul's is the B-Boys'
      masterwork.

      Oh, and you're right about Bettie Serveert. Palomine is a
      destroyer of an album and I think Log 22 might be #2 on their
      list. White Dogs is one of the greatest songs ever written to
      simultaneously be influenced by the Velvets and NOT be
      annoyingly obvious about it.

      LD

      =====
      "You spend half your life trying to turn the other half around."
      --Kathleen Edwards

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic