5532Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on May 02, 2003

  • jwmoosefan2001
    May 2, 2003
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on May 02, 2003

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New

      Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up - Got Soul! 1960-1973+
      [ Had a request for Curtis Mayfield - I don't think this song was a
      huge hit for Curtis Mayfield but what a great song ]
      -------- - -------- - --------
      Mable John - Able Mable - Stay Out Of The Kitchen
      [ This set was dedicated to the Stax Museum of American Soul Music
      which opened today (Friday - May 2nd) in Memphis - Mable John's
      brother was Little Willie John & she co-wrote this with her mother ]
      Eddie Floyd - Bring It On Home To Me - Rare Stamps
      [ Upbeat version of the Sam Cooke song with backing by Booker T. &
      The MGs & the Mar-Keys horn section ]
      Otis Redding - Pain In My Heart - The Definitive Otis Redding
      [ This song was written by Otis Redding but he was sued for it
      sounding too much like "Ruler of My Heart" written by Allen
      Toussiant. As a result, the song now is credited to Toussiant. ]
      -------- - -------- - --------
      Chuck Berry - Tulane - Chuck Berry: The Anthology
      [ Not one of his well-known songs but it rocks mightily ]
      De La Soul - The Magic Number - 3 Feet High & Rising
      [ Somehow this passed me by in 1989 and I just recently got
      introduced to it - The album draws from all kinds of musical styles,
      mixes it together, and makes it sound like nobody else. ]
      Cornershop - Brimful Of Asha - When I Was Born For The Seventh Time
      [ Really cool single that does the same thing De La Soul does only
      with different styles of music - I don't know, the two songs fit
      together to these ears ]
      -------- - -------- - --------
      The Beatles - Don't Let Me Down - Past Masters - Vol. 2
      [ This was the "Spanning The Globe" set ]
      The Soundtrack Of Our Lives - 21st Century Rip Off - Behind The Music
      [ Seems like the best rock music has been coming from other
      countries, as of late - This is the third album from this Swedish
      band ]
      Lipstick Killers - Hindu Gods (Of Love) - Tales From The Australian
      Underground: Singles 1976-1989*
      [ Thinks of this new two-CD set as a companion to the wonderful "Do
      The Pop" compilation that came out last year - Virtually no overlap
      in material, either ]
      -------- - -------- - --------
      Thea Gilmore - Cover Me - Uncut Magazine: Born To Run Vol 1.*
      [ Uncut magazine included a CD compilation of various artists
      covering Bruce Springsteen songs in the last issue (you know, the one
      with Bruce Springsteen on the cover)- This song was recorded
      especially for this compilation ]
      Bettie Serveert - Palomine - Palomine
      [ Until I wrest back my copy of Log 22 (the new CD from Bettie
      Serveert) from a friend, I'll be forced to play songs from this
      Amsterdam band's back catalogue - Palomine ranks among the best rock
      albums of the 90s, in my opinion ]
      Patty Griffin - Stolen Car - 1000 Kisses
      [ One of my favorite Bruce Springsteen covers ever ]
      Buddy & Julie Miller - Paper Thin - It'll Come To You*
      [ New release which combines previously released cover versions of
      John Hiatt songs with three newly recorded songs -"I was gonna get up
      off that bar stool,
      Just as soon as I could figure it out" ]
      Sam Phillips - River Of Love - The Turning
      [ Recorded when she was still known as Leslie Phillips- Beautiful
      version of this T-Bone Burnett song ]
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic