12519Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on April 26, 2007

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Apr 30, 2007
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on April 26, 2007

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      The Capitols - Cool Jerk - Beg, Scream & Shout - Rhino
      [ Due to a last minute flurry of phone calls, I was able to make
      my pledge drive goal for the second week in a row. Thanks so much to
      everybody who pledged and to everybody who worked the phones during
      the 2007 Spring Membership Drive. Also, thanks to the Steve and Cat
      Pick Experience (or is it the Cat and Steve Pick Experience - I can
      never remember) for helping to host this week's show. KDHX is the
      finest radio station in St. Louis -- no doubt about it! I figured
      I'd start off with a bona fide soul classic recorded in 1966. ]

      Betty Everett & Jerry Butler - I Can't Stand It - Delicious
      Together - P-Vine
      [ Recorded in 1964 on Vee-Jay & featuring some of the earliest
      male/female duet soul tracks. ]

      Don Covay - I Stole Some Love - Mercy Mercy: The Definitive Don
      Covay - Razor & Tie
      [ "Don, you just been found guilty
      By Judge Cupid, for stealin' the love
      Of another man" ]

      James Brown & His Band - Suds - James Brown: The Singles-Vol. 2:
      1960-63 - Hip-O Select*
      [ This new 2-CD set features his first three years of singles
      released on King Records. Forty tracks with every A & B side. Highly
      recommended. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Mavis Staples - Turn Me Around - We'll Never Turn Back - Anti-*
      [ After many months of airplay on KDHX, this Ry Cooder-produced
      recording has finally hit the streets. The vocals of Mavis Staples
      sound terrific on this. Mavis Staples will be at the Sheldon Concert
      Hall on February 29th, 2008. Hey, I have no plans for that date. I
      think I can make it. ]

      Sam Cooke - A Change Is Gonna Come - Ain't That Good News - ABKCO
      [ Just made sense to play this after the Mavis Staples civil
      rights-era themed album. Hard to believe that this song is not on
      the "The Man Who Invented Soul" box set." ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Detroit Cobras - You'll Never Change - Tied & True - Bloodshot*
      [ This song was originally done by Bettye LaVette. Rachel Nagy
      nails this one. For those of you who like to plan ahead, the Detroit
      Cobras will be appearing at the Creepy Crawl on Monday (8/27). ]

      Neko Case - Hold On, Hold On - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood -
      Anti-
      [ Neko Case & Kelly Hogan sound great together on this one. One
      of the best singles of 2006, I think. ]

      James Brown & His Band - Sticky - James Brown: The Singles-Vol. 2:
      1960-63 - Hip-O Select*
      [ This B-side instrumental was recorded on King Records in
      1961. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Son Volt - Beacon Soul - The Search - Transmit Sound*
      [ I missed Son Volt the last two times they played in St.
      Louis. That was one flat-out terrific show they did at the Pageant
      last Saturday. The new guitarist, Chris Masterson, sounded great
      with Jay Farrar and it was a treat to hear Jay Farrar playing more
      leads, as well. ]

      The Rolling Stones - 2,000 Light Years From Home - Their Satanic
      Majesties Request - ABKCO
      [ Son Volt opened up their encore with this completely
      unexpected, sublime Rolling Stones cover. ]

      Jack Nitzsche - Surf Finger - Hard Workin' Man: The Jack Nitzsche
      Story: Vol. 2 - Ace
      [ This Jack Nitzsche-penned instrumental was recorded in 1966 &
      was previously unissued until this 2006 compilation was released. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Patti Smith - Helpless - Twelve - Sony / BMG*
      [ This new release is made up of, you guessed it, twelve covers
      of some her favorite artists. Including this song by Neil Young
      along with covers by the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson
      Airplane, Bob Dylan, Allman Brothers & Nirvana, among others. ]

      Malcolm Middleton - A Brighter Beat - A Brighter Beat - Full Time
      Hoppy*
      [ This new release is only available as an import right now.
      This song actually required no editing for radio airplay. A rarity
      for a Malcolm Middleton song. ]

      Death In Vegas - Girls - Lost In Translation - Emperor Norton

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Grand Champeen - Nice Of You To Join Us - "dial T for this" - In
      Music We Trust*
      [ Grand Champeen (Austin, TX) & Two Cow Garage (Columbus, OH)
      will both be having their CD release parties at Off Broadway on
      Saturday (May 19th). To further add to the festivities, local
      favorites Miles Of Wire will be opening. ]

      The Kinks - She's Got Everything - Kinks Kronikles - Reprise
      [ A Kinks song more rarely played than it should be, for some
      reason. ]

      The Rumblers - Night Scene - Intoxica! - Ace

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Maria McKee - A Good Heart - Late December - Cooking Vinyl*
      [ This song was written by Maria McKee and originally appeared
      on Feargal Sharkey's (Undertones) solo debut album. ]

      Merry Clayton - It's In His Kiss - Hard Workin' Man: The Jack
      Nitzsche Story: Vol. 2 - Ace
      [ This is the original recording of this song & came out on
      Capitol in 1963. Arranged & conducted by Jack Nitzsche. ]

      Jackie DeShannon - Dream Boy - What The World Needs Now... - EMI
      [ This 1964 recording was perviously unissued until this
      compilation came out in 1994. This one also features Jimmy Page on
      guitar. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Daniele Luppi - Fashion Party - An Italian Story - Rhino / Belmondo
      [ Nothing says pick up the phone & pledge more than the
      whistling-stylings of Alessandro Alessandroni. ]

      Brunetta & The Balubas - The Balabu Shake - le beat bespoke 2 -
      Circle
      [ A while back, I received an e-mail from a woman wanting to
      hear more Brunetta & The Balubas. I was lucky I even found this. This
      was recorded in 1966 in Italy. Liner notes do indicate that Brunetta
      played many different instruments and appeared in an Italian movie
      that also featured Chet Baker. This and Daniele Luppi pretty much
      wrapped up the Italian music portion of the show. If anybody has some
      Brunetta recordings, let's talk at memphis@.... I'm not quite
      prepared to pay $126 for the Brunetta And The Sounds "Felicita
      Felicita ; Il Nuevo Tema Dell' Amore" - Rifi 16246 single at
      gemm.com. Call me crazy. ]

      Astrud Gilberto - Trains & Boats & Planes - Burt Bacharach
      Songbook - Polydor*
      [ OK, now to the ever-so-brief Brazilian portion of the show. I
      love this Burt Bacharach song. I love it when the Box Tops do it and
      I love it when Fountains of Wayne do it and I love it when Astrud
      Gilberto does it. This version was recorded in 1967. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Southern Culture On The Skids - Rose Garden - Countrypolitan
      Favorites - Yep Roc*
      [ Alright, maybe it was the beer speaking to me but I could have
      sworn that before they played this song at Blueberry Hill last
      Thursday, Mary Huff said that Joe South (who wrote this song) just
      passed away. Seeing as how I had to be at KDHX the next day to help
      out on Tim Rakel's very-fine "Mystery Train" show, I brought in some
      Joe South recordings for Steve Pick to play. Which he did. However,
      no mention of Joe South passing away can be found anywhere on the
      internet. I might have made a mistake but, at least, I didn't
      announce it to thousands of listeners like Steve Pick did. ]

      BR549 - Ain't Got Time - Tangled In The Pines - Dualtone
      [ Chuck Mead continued the string of fine Rick Wood house
      concert performances last Saturday night. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Big Ella - The Queen - Sister Funk 2 - Jazzman*
      [ Rare funk & soul compiled on this new & second volume put out
      on Jazzman. I've never heard of Big Ella before but this is one
      great track. Produced in Mississippi by Bobby Rush & released on Rush
      Records as a single in the sixties. ]

      Sly & The Family Stone - Turn Me Loose - A Whole New Thing - Epic
      [ This 1967 debut album put out on Epic has just been remastered
      and re-released with five bonus tracks. ]

      Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five - Friendship - Louis Jordan & His
      Tympany Five - JSP
      [ One of the funniest songs I've ever heard. And it never gets
      old. ]

      One Fell Swoop - Too Pooped To Pop - N/A - N/A
      [ The last recording One Fell Swoop ever did. This not-often
      covered Chuck Berry song was recorded with hopes that it would make
      the "Brown-Eyed Handsome Man" compilation. Maybe when the expanded
      bonus-tracks version comes out..... ]