12407Dion interview, Freak folk article

  • Jason Gross
    Jan 31, 2007
      Greetings,

      In the latest issue of Perfect Sound Forever
      online music magazine
      <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>, you'll find (among other things):

      DION
      Gets the blues- interview
      Mr. DiMucci says of his latest album: "It's
      almost like what I've done (before) was a
      departure from who I am, you know. It's a funny
      bit, because when I recorded this album, they
      were songs that were (always) in my head. Ever
      since my pre-teens, I've been listening to some
      of this stuff. They've always been in my head and
      kind of in my guitar, and I never thought of
      recording this group of (blues) songs."

      FREAK SHOW
      Race & New Weird America
      "The New Weird America of the freak-folk looks
      and sounds an awful lot like the Old Weird
      America (per Greil Marcus), begot by the Good Ole
      Days that sustained minstrelsy, Stephen Foster
      and race records. And, as the older movement had
      Marcus applying his myth-and-symbolist lens to
      20th century icons Elvis, Robert Johnson and The
      Band, the virtually all-white New Weird America
      sports psych-folk singer-songwriter and 21st
      century space cowboy Devendra Banhart as its chief curator – reluctant or no."

      We're always looking for good writers and ideas
      so let us know if you have anything to share.

      See you online,
      Jason

      Perfect Sound Forever- online music magazine
      since 1993- now new and semi-improved!
      <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
      MySpace Page: <http://www.myspace.com/perfectsoundmagazine>
      Crazed by the Music blog: <http://www.popmatters.com/pm/blogs/crazedbythemusic/>