12371Clip: Gilman's 20th Anniversary Weekend

    Dec 28, 2006
      Few things make me feel old, but realizing that the Gilman Street
      Project is 20 does. It opened my senior year of high school, and
      (other than the occasional noisy show at mostly folk- and world-music
      venue Ashkenaz) was the place for under-21 kids to hear punk and noise
      in Berkeley after Ruthie's stopped booking shows. The most memorable
      evening that first year was Apartheid Night, where the organizers
      arbitrarily assigned each of the attendees a racial identity and
      segregated us into different parts of the room.

      <http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=2477&catid=107&volume_id=254&issue_id=274&volume_num=41&issue_num=13>

      Gilman's 20th Anniversary Weekend
      Young and punk and (still) full of spunk

      PREVIEW If you grew up punk rock or even remotely punk rock in the Bay
      Area, you've been to 924 Gilman Street in Berkeley. For those who
      aren't familiar, let me quote from the Web site: "We do not book
      racist, misogynist, homophobic, or major label bands." The volunteer
      bookers are so true to these ideals that they require artists to
      submit lyric sheets as well as CDs. The Gilman Street Project, as it's
      known, started two decades ago as a grassroots, volunteer-run punk
      club of the people, by the people, and for the people.

      To this day, shows rarely cost more than the $5 charged in 1986. The
      scene's had its growing pains, including looking like a farm league
      for the majors after Green Day and Rancid went big and the 1994
      beatdown that broke Jello Biafra's leg. But the Gilman's pulled
      through as a drug-, alcohol-, and violence-free (well, ideally) spot
      where kids of all ages can see loud music from new bands who didn't
      arrive in a Comfort Coach with a couple dozen groupies. There's even a
      book documenting the experience: 924 Gilman: The Story So Far ...,
      compiled by Brian Edge. Celebrate this weekend with two epic shows,
      headlined Dec. 29 by San Francisco's All You Can Eat, (in)famous for
      their "Welcome to the Jungle Gym"/"Fries Are Up" single (the latter a
      parody of Black Flag's "Rise Above"), and old-school hardcore killers
      Social Unrest (the stars of my first punk show ever, circa 1984) Dec.
      30. (Duncan Scott Davidson)

      GILMAN'S 20TH ANNIVERSARY WEEKEND Fri/29, 8 p.m., with All You Can
      Eat, Born/Dead, Jocks, TIMF, Lil Runt, and Double D's; Sat/30, 8 p.m.,
      with Social Unrest, El Dopa, Black Fork, Schlong, United Intrepid
      Forces, Look Back and Laugh, and ADT. 924 Gilman, Berk. $5. (510)
      525-9926, www.924gilman.org