12295Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on November 30, 2006

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Nov 30, 2006
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on November 30, 2006

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Issac Hayes - Winter Snow - It's Christmas Time Again - Stax
      [ We're supposed to get 5-8 inches of snow tonight. What the
      heck -- I thought I'd have Issac Hayes set the mood. He also wrote
      this song. Carla Thomas does a wonderful version of it on the b-side
      of her "All I Have For Christmas Is You" single, as well. ]

      Joni Mitchell - River - Blue - Reprise
      [ Just an amazing song. From the piano at the start, the lyrics,
      the melody..just beautiful. "Its coming on christmas /
      They're cutting down trees / They're putting up reindeer / And
      singing songs of joy and peace / I wish I had a river
      I could skate away on" ]

      Harry Nilsson - Snow - Nilsson Sings Newman - Buddha
      [ This Randy Newman cover was not on the original release but
      did make it on this expanded reissue. I'll have to play the Claudine
      Longet version one of these days and dedicate it to Ken From
      Cockeysville. ]

      Booker T. & The MGs - Winter Snow - The Complete Stax/Volt Singles
      1959-68 - Stax
      [ This is not on the Booker T. & The MGs Christmas album. It
      sure would have been a nice addition to it. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Them Two - Am I A Good Man - Eccentric Soul: The Deep City Label -
      The Numero Group
      [ The Numero Group in 2006 put out all kinds of interesting,
      high-quality reissues. This compilation of late 60s-early 70s soul
      put out by the Deep City label (Miami) is probably my favorite. The
      bass and organ on this just kills. ]

      Tom Waits - Puttin' On The Dog - Orphans - Anti-*
      [ This three-CD set of mosty unreleased and rare material by Tom
      Waits was released last week. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Animals - Gonna Send You Back To Walker - The Best Of The Animals -
      Abkco
      [ I can remember hearing my dad play this record from the time I
      was a little kid. This material never gets old. OK, other than "House
      Of The Rising Sun." ]

      Jackie DeShannon - Needles & Pins - The Jack Nitzsche Story:
      Hearing Is Believing: 1962-1979 - Ace
      [ This song was co-written by Jack Nitzsche & Sonny Bono and
      this version was arranged by Jack Nitzsche . And we already know how
      I feel about Jackie DeShannon. Next week, I should have Volume 2 of
      The Jack Nitzsche Story in hand to play something off of. They
      should have done a Jack Nitzsche box set for everything that he has
      done. ]

      Bob Dorough - Three Is A Magic Number - Oxford American 2006
      Southern Music CD - Oxford American*
      [ In the early 70s, Bob Dorough began writing and
      directing "Schoolhouse Rock" which is where this came from. Hip and
      educational! He also sings a song called "Blue X-Mas" that can be
      found on several Christmas music compilations ('Hipster's Holiday'
      being the most noteworthy) that also features Miles Davis. Probably
      the most cynical Christmas song, ever. I really need to play that,
      sometime. ]

      The Nomos - Step Out & Git It - Mod Jazz - Kent

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Karen Dalton - In My Own Dream - Karen Dalton - In My Own Time+*
      [ I had a listener call in and request this Paul Butterfield
      song. First of all, how many listeners call in to request a Paul
      Butterfield song? Then, I remembered that I happened to have this
      Karen Dalton reissue with that song on it. Hopefully, this version
      sufficed. Just an aside, I saw on 4-5 different occasions, Paul
      Butterfield and Rick Danko play together with a band. They were
      always different shows. Once they played with Gary Busey where they
      did all his Buddy Holly covers. Usually, Blondie Chaplin was in the
      band so David Johansen was in the crowd one time. Every show, no
      matter how different always featured Rick Danko singing Stage Fright,
      Unfaithful Servant, & When You Awake. Most of the time, I can't tell
      you how unblievably great Rick Danko's vocals were at the time.
      Unfortunately, the last show I saw them do, he was so out of it, he
      couldn't have been on stage for more than five songs. ]

      The Who - Substitute - Live At Leeds (Expanded) - MCA
      [ Sometimes, expanded versions are really worthwhile. This
      second added disc has all of Tommy performed live. A band at the
      height of their powers. ]

      Etta James - Something's Got A Hold On Me - Her Best - MCA / Chess

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Hold Steady - Hot Soft Light - Boys & Girls In America -
      Vagrant*
      [ Appearing this Tuesday (12/5) at Mojo's in Columbia. The Hold
      Steady Fun Van is at the ready. One of the best live bands out
      there. Highly recommended. ]

      The New York Dolls - Personality Crisis - The New York Dolls -
      Mercury
      [ Appearing this Friday (12/1) at Mississippi Nights. Also on
      the bill are The Supersuckers, The Chesterfield Kings, The Charms, &
      The Misses. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Pastel Six - Richard''s Bounce - It Came From The Suburbs -
      Ace*
      [ This is a new collection of recordings from bands who were on
      the Downey record label in the 60s. Unlike the first volume which
      were all instrumentals, this set is mostly all vocals. Except this
      song. ]

      The Rolling Stones - Rocks Off - Exile On Main Street - Virgin

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Scott Miller - Amtrak Crescent - Are You With Me? - Self
      [ Appearing at a special house concert performance this Tuesday
      (12/5). For details on this event & how to get tickets, e-mail me at
      memphis@... & I will get them to you. Highly recommended. ]

      Steve Earle - Tom Ames' Prayer - Train A Comin' - Winter Harvest

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Captain Beefheart - Her Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles - The Big
      Lebowski ST - Mercury

      James Carr - Love Attack - You Got My Mind Messed Up - Kent

      Lloyd Price - Mr. & Mrs. Untrue - If Loving You Is Wrong: 20
      Cheatin' Heartbreakers - Kent
      [ A cautionary tale. 20 cheatin' heartbreakers -- they have that
      right. One of my favorite soul collections, for some reason. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Brave Combo - Must Be Santa - It's Christmas, Man! - Rounder
      [ Appearing a week from Friday (12/8) at Mississippi nights. I
      suspect there will be holiday songs a plenty. ]

      Daniele Luppi - Fashion Party - An Italian Story - Rhino / Belmondo
      [ I'd give anything to be able to whistle like Alessandro
      Alessandroni. It would never get old. ]

      Yo La Tengo - Mr. Tough - I Am Not Afraid Of You & I Will Beat Your
      Ass - Matador*

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Carla Bruni - Those Little Things - Monsieur Gainsborg Revisited -
      Verve Forecast*
      [ Tony Renner played Carla Bruni earlier today on Emotional
      Rescue. I figured I would contrast and compare and have her sing a
      song in English this time around. ]

      Gentleman Auction House - Our Angry Town Runs Them Out - The Rules
      Were Handed Down - Gentleman Auction House Records*
      [ Playing a week from Monday (12/11) at Off Broadway with The
      Ten Thousand and The Blunts. ]

      Lou Reed - I Love You, Suzanne - New Sensations - RCA

      Buffalo Springfield - On The Way Home - Retrospective - Atco

      Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Wonderin' - Live At The Fillmore East -
      Reprise*

      Mike Ireland & Holler - Mr. Rain - Try Again - Ashmont
      [ Mike Ireland & Holler will be performing at a special house
      concert a week from Friday (12/8). For details on this event & how to
      get tickets, e-mail me at memphis@... & I will get details over
      to you. This will be with a full band and will also feature many
      holiday-themed songs. Highly recommended. ]