10798Re: [fearnwhiskey] NYT: Struggling to Keep the Band and Legend of Sun Ra Alive

    Jun 30, 2005
      Thanks, Dave. I'm glad to see Marshall Allen in the NYTimes.

      --On Thursday, June 30, 2005 8:39 AM -0400 Dave Purcell <dap@...>
      wrote:

      > Mr. Allen toured for two weeks with the bassist Henry Grimes this year,
      > and is about to return to Tuva with a small group and to perform with
      > the Arkestra in Austria and France in early July. But he complains that
      > the concerts do not pay enough to keep the entire band together like an
      > extended family, the way Sun Ra did. Mr. Allen often has trouble
      > scraping together a full ensemble (anywhere from 13 to 19 pieces) even
      > for weekly rehearsals and must call upon Arkestra alumni to fill spots.

      If Allen gets a version of the Arkestra together to play in a town near
      you, run, do not walk, to see it. I'm sure I'm repeating myself here, but
      I got the chance to see the Arkestra for the first time in 16-17 years back
      in 2003 (and the first time without Sun Ra, who had long since departed for
      the spaceways). I was a little concerned that age would have weakened the
      raucous, physical performers...right up until showtime when they played a
      set the P-Funk crowd would have envied, complete with floor gymnastics and
      powerful solos. Buying a ticket to this circus not only would give a much
      needed cash infusion to the organization, it will give you one of the best
      concerts you're likely to see.