10153RE: [fearnwhiskey] Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on January 06, 2005

  • Carl A Zimring
    Jan 10, 2005

      > At 12:35 PM -0500 1/8/05, Dave Purcell wrote:
      >> << The Clash - Police On My Back - Sandinista! - CBS [ This song was
      >> written by Eddy Grant and I think is one of the highlights of
      >> Sandinista!. "Ive been running Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday,
      >> Friday, Saturday, Sunday / What have I done? What have I done?" There,
      >> now it's in your head, too. ]
      >>>>

      >> Very interesting -- that's one of my fave Clash songs and I had no idea
      >> Eddy Grant wrote it. Guess I never checked the liner notes on that
      >> one.
      >>
      >> dp
      >
      > It's an Equals song. The original is massive, as is most everything that
      > band did-- hunt it down! Seems like "Electric Ave." (great song, but
      > beyond the pale for most of indiedom apparently) & "Romancing the Stone"
      > (ass, duh) keeps Eddy's first fab band off of too many folks' radar....

      Never thought about his 80s work being stigmatized, but I always enjoyed "Electric Avenue" -- now, dammit, I will have it in my head all day long.

      (Come to think of it, a cover of "Electric Avenue" would have fit easily onto _Combat Rock_...)